Chapter 2

Lori followed Victoria to the farm house, the half-munched carrot still in her hand.

As they pushed open the door, a tantalising smell of roast chicken and cauliflower cheese wafted through Lori's nose.

"I'm going up stairs to get changed" Victoria called over her shoulder as she ran up the carpeted stairs.

Lori let her nose lead the way and she found herself in the kitchen where Renn stood bent over at the rustic fan-forced oven, removing the roast bird and placing it in top of the grill while she closed the oven.

Lori went over to the silver sink to wash the dirt and horse hair off her hands and under her nails. She placed the munched carrot in her jeans pocket to give to Tricky after dinner.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Lori said after she dried her hands on a red checkered tea towel.

Renn turned around and pointed to the cutlery draw, "We need knives and forks for how ever many people have signed their name on the dinner list, glasses, and drinks."

Lori nodded and walked over to the clipboard hanging on the side of the kitchen bench. The names read:
Victoria
Ron
Bill
Jenna
Grace
Amanda
Madi
Claire
Carrie
John
Bianca

Lori quickly added her name to the bottom and counted twelve, she added Renn as she is the one who cooked it.

She collected the required amount and set the knives and forks out neatly at the large jarrah-tree-wood table.

The glasses were in the top shelf of the highest set of cabinets because if they fell they would smash therefore placing them in the highest cabinet made sense.

Lori collected the glasses and placed them upside down on the white table cloth.

"What kind of drinks are in the freezer?" Lori asked.

"Water mostly but I think we may have some soft drink in there somewhere." Renn said as she finished cutting the chicken and placed them on a tray for serving.

The out-door fridge was covered in dust and cobwebs but it still did its job.
Lori checked under the handle to make sure there were no spiders going to crawl on her hand and opened the icy door.

Its contents included frozen meats, breads, horse medicine, breakfast foods, kebabs, several bottles of water, and on the top shelf, two cartons of soft drink.

Lori grabbed some of the waters and both cartons and made her way back inside.

Renn had finished with the roast vegetables and placed them on the table on a large plate ready to eat.

"Thank you, dear. Will you go find the others and tell them dinners ready?" Renn said as she opened the cupboard door revealing the dinner plates.

Lori put the refreshments down on the table and headed up stairs to find the others.