Chapter 5

The horse that Lori knew as Ghost stepped toward her a dipped her head in greeting. "Greetings, child, I am Phasma," She said, her voice was soft like a fading echo.

Phasma is one of RRS two Lippizaner mares. Her coat is pure white, similar to that of a snow hare. Her mane and tail, both slightly crinkly, are a light grey. However, in her night form she is almost transparent, in the right light she would be hardly visible.

"Hello, Phasma." Lori said in awe.
A smaller red roan Appaloosa mare came up to her and an intense wave of heat washed over Lori. She soon noticed this was due to the fact her mane and tail were on fire, lapping around her ears and flickering as she swished her tail. Her rump was covered in a white blanket with small brown spots splattered here and there. The white spots on her neck looked as though she had been dusted in icing sugar, and her blaze from her eyes to muzzle was just the same.

"Heya, I guess it must be confusing with all of us having two names, I mean, I don't even know half these horses magical names! See you call me Polly but everyone around this place calls me Manouvus. I like both so you can chose which ever to call me. I don't mind."

The mare was blabbering so fast that Lori couldn't form full sentences from the random letters and words spilling from her russet muzzle.

Ulysses bumped her on the rump with his shoulder. She wiped her head around, word vomit still falling from her mouth, and he gave her a look with his eyebrow raised and nose tilted down. Manovus shut her mouth and return to the spot she was before.

"My sincere apologies for Lady Manouvus's behaviour. She's not used to people seeing us in our magical forms. She get excited and then burns something with that flaming tail of hers." Ulysses sighed. As he did so, his curly forelock bounced slightly distracting Lori from his intelligent and polite eyes to his black pearl horn placed between his eyes and ears.

In his magical form, Ulysses mane and tail flow about two feet behind him when he walks, but some how it was completely tangle and twig free.

"If you can excuse me, M'lady, I have an urgent matter to discuss with Captiosius." Ulysses apologised as he nodded his head to her and walked over to Captiosius who stood behind her.

"Does this happen every night?" Lori asked the flaxen liver chestnut mare she knew as Mia.

"No. We will only shift to our magical forms when something important, or dangerous, has arisen." She answered stepping toward Lori. She had a small German accent but no obvious physical changes to the mare.

"So if you are in your magical forms now, then that must mean something is about to happen."

"This is true my dear." Mea closed her eyes and nodded. A sudden wave of dread washed over Lori.

"What ever it is I'm sure I-we- can handle it." Snorted the dun gelding beside Mea. "We have our magic to protect us, nothing could harm us."

"But alas, Tradion, it is a dark magic that has bestowed us." Captiosius said as he and Ulysses rejoined the group. "And if Ulysses and myself are correct then we will be requiring your assistance, Lori Flaire Underhood."