Chapter 3

It was about seven o'clock by the time everyone had eaten dinner, cleared the table and done their dishes.

Lori headed down to complex 23 to check on Tricky and to feed him his rejected carrot.

At the entrance to the barn Lori clicked on the light switch. The sudden start of light spooked some of the sleeping horses.

Lori heard a nicker from the far end of the stable and saw Tricky with his snow white face and coal black eyes staring back at her inquisitively.

"Hey boy, you finished your dinner?" Lori asked. Tricky nodded his head making Lori laugh. "You remember that trick, do you?" She said as she walked up to his stall.

Tricky nodded again and walked up to her planting, his head in her arms. Lori reached up under his golden head-collar and scratched the soft fur around his ears.

He nickered and pushed his nose into her pocket, smelling the orange vegetable.

Lori gently pushed his nose away so she could pull herself up and on to the stall divider between Tricky and his neighbour, Odysseus's stalls.

She sat perched on the wooden railing stroking Tricky's head when she felt a sudden bump against her back. Lori smiled and turned around to see Odysseus poking his nose at her.

She swivelled her left leg over the railing so she had one leg in Odysseus's stall and one in Tricky's.

Lori allocated a hand to each stallion and began stroking them both. Odysseus manuvered his head around so Lori could reach the itchy spot on the crest of his neck.

Jealousy finally got the better of Tricky, charging the divider, ears pinned, teeth bared, he looked like an upset viper.

The frisian stallion swerved sharply to the right, so Lori was in front of Tricky, blocking him from harms way.

Lori jumped down from her perch into Tricky's stall, not waning to cause a stallion fight. She stepped toward Tricky who pretended not to care that she had been touching an other horse.

"I'm sorry Tricky. You will always be my favourite horse, I love you." Lori said to him, reassuring him he was still loved.

"I have to go now, here is your carrot." She held out the root vegetable and Tricky munched on it happily, his jealousy forgotten.

Lori exited his stable, making sure she locked the chain guard behind her. She stood in the centre of complex 23 and turned in a 360 degrease circle, checking all the doors were closed.

Satisfied everything was in order, she left the stable and walked into the house.

There were no lights on so Lori presumed everyone was in bed, she quickly but quietly speed walked to her room to fetch a towel and toiletries and headed to the bathroom for a shower.
~~~~~
After restoring cleanliness to herself Lori entered he room to exchange her jeans and dirty t-shirt for her pyjamas.

She was to tired do anything else but curl up in her bed and sleep. Lori had only just placed her head on her pillow when she saw and blinding white light, light up her whole room before fading into darkness once more.