➣ twenty-six.

026. | THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND

"All right," Mal said as we walked towards the barrier. "Get in, get out." Glancing at Jay, she asked, "Jay, you're good?"

Jay nodded. "Yeah."

Mal nodded back, then held out her hands for us to stop. "Okay, hold on."

Jay held out the remote, opening the barrier for us to get through. Mal tossed the ember up and down in her hand, and then the six of us stepped through the barrier. A pulse of blue light suddenly rippled through Mal's body, and she stopped before staring at her hands.

"Whoa," Evie said, motioning to the blue streaks in Mal's hair. "You got a little Hades thing going."

"Wow," Mal agreed, turning over her hands.

Carlos pointed to the ember. "That thing packs a punch, huh?"

Suddenly we heard the patter footsteps, and we spun around just in time to see Harry and Gil dive through the barrier just before it closed. Then, the two looked at each other in surprise as Mal, the boys and I all stepped up to them, and Harley and Evie stepped back to protect Celia.

"We made it, bro!" Gil said.

"We made it!" Harry agreed, embracing his buddy in a hug. When they saw us, Harry smirked and said, "Hey, guys. We're just coming for a... wee visit."

They started to walk forward, but Jay and Carlos stopped them and shoved them back. The two pirates tried again, but when Jay and Carlos shoved them back once more, Carlos's elbow bumped into Mal, making her drop the ember.

"Hey, hey!" Mal cried, scrambling to reach it. But then, Harry put his hook around her wrist as she grabbed it, then swung her hand around, causing her to fling it out towards the ocean.

"No!" Mal gasped, watching helplessly as it dropped towards the sea.

But suddenly, out of nowhere, a massive blue tentacle shot out of the water and caught the ember. Then, moments later, none other than Uma rose out of the ocean, holding the ember and smirking at us as we all stared in shock.

"Drop something?" Uma asked.

"It can't get wet!" Mal called to her. "Give it back before it goes out!"

"Uma?" Harry and Gil said in disbelief.

Uma grinned, tapping her chin with two fingers. "That's my name." Then, much to our horror, she sunk back down into the sea.

"No!" Mal cried.

That was when the water began to churn, and a huge geyser of water spiraled out from the sea. It spun around, rising higher and higher, until it suddenly burst, and we all rushed to the edge of the bridge, searching for Uma.

"Hi, boys."

We spun around to see Uma standing behind us, a victorious smirk on her face as she shook the glowing ember in her hand.

Harry grinned, walking forward and shaking Uma's hand. "Welcome back."

Gil, however, didn't look so happy. "Uma," he said. "You swam off and forgot all about us."

"Yeah," Mal said with a scoff. "Planning her revenge, no doubt."

Uma rolled her eyes. "It's not all about you, Mal. I was looking for a hole in the barrier to let everybody out." Turning to Harry and Gil, she said, "And you know what I found, boys? It's way better out there than we thought. There's this thing that looks like a furry rock called a coconut. And fish so big you could dance on their backs." Facing us, she glared at Mal. "And they've been keeping it all for themselves."