Four| Closed Mouths

Three months later

Riley

Frustration flowed throughout my body as I read the text message from this guy I so called myself dating

Frustration flowed throughout my body as I read the text message from this guy I so called myself dating. He was very handsome and had a respectable job as a general manager of a hotel. He treated me with respect and kindness but there was something missing; something that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"What's wrong?" My assistant/cameraman for the night, Alan asked as I threw the device back into my bag and led the way to the red carpet.

"Do I not know how to date? Is dating full of questions? I feel like I'm always being interrogated." I spoke, quickly pulling out my recorder. "It's always 'how was your day? what did you eat' never 'what bill is due or can I pay your mortgage this month?' Ask me something useful."

Alan started dying laughing, drawing attention to us but I didn't mind because I was so serious. It seemed like men didn't know any other tactic to use when trying to court a woman. Questions easily got under my skin. Sure I was flattered due to the interest but I wasn't sixteen anymore. Playing twenty one questions did not appease me anymore as a grown ass twenty five year old woman.

"Being around a person, making them feel comfortable enough to open up is how one is to get to know them. Questioning me about every little thing is annoying as hell." I mumbled once Alan calmed down.

"Whether you realize it or not Riley, you're a little intimidating. Maybe they don't want you to get bored and drop them." I'm assuming from the confused look on my face, Alan decided to explain. "You have a great career, you're beautiful, and independent. He's probably trying to see what he can bring to the table."

"I need peace and I can't get that if I am being asked a question every five minutes. People don't know how to talk anymore and that's the problem. They don't know how to just go with the flow." This time I chuckled. "Imagine that. A reporter mad that she is being questioned. I might need to find a new career."

Alan joined my laughter as we finally put on our game faces and focused on interviewing the athletes as they made their way down the carpet. It was the annual ESPYs and we were asked to cover. So I had to do a lot of research to make sure my questions stood out from the rest. If I was going to interrogate, it was going to be for something more useful than trying to redeem myself like Wes was trying so hard to do.

"Rio! Rio over here!" My head turned in the direction of my best friend and her new beau as they strutted down the carpet looking gorgeous together. "Who is the new lady on your arm? She is beautiful!"

"Damn right she is." I mumbled as the new couple posed for a few pictures. Rio stopped to speak to a few people as Lena's eyes searched the crowd looking for me. I reached my arm up and waved, wildly so she could spot me. "You look stunning." I complimented once she approached.

We quickly hugged each other before her eyes trailed my figure. "So do you. Are you trying to catch the eye of the potential Male Athlete of the Year?"