Chapter 8

Lucy's POV

***some weeks later***

After hours of classes, we decided to go to the cafeteria for lunch. Surprisingly, there wasn't a big line in the cashier and hour table wasn't taken this time by some freshman or Dixie and her clones.

We walked to the line waiting to order. I hadn't seen Sabrina and Cole. They were nowhere to be found. I didn't have a class with either of the two before lunch. But this has be going on for a while now. But I think they have a class together before meeting the whole group.
It's just me, Amanda, Philip, Scott and Louis. We take our lunches and get to our table. As we talk about going out all together to the movies and the ski trip the high school is organizing every year, a question comes up.

'Guys, is Cole cheating on me?' I ask

'What?! Why would you think that?' Amanda asks

'Well every time he and Sabrina always come late. I guess they have a class but what takes them so long to come ?' I wonder

'Maybe it's a class with a lab. Maybe the have to clean up the place before going out' Philip says.

'Lucy is right. They're always late. They don't have to tell us the reason they're late but every time we have lunch?' Scott says.

'And now you mention it Sabrina has become more distant and she talks with Dixie sometimes' Amanda says

'I hope..-' but before anything comes out of my mouth, Cole and Sabrina approach the table.

'Hey guys!!!' Sabrina greets us and sits across me.

'Hello babe' Cole says and kisses me in the mouth and takes a seat next to me. 'Hey guys' he says to the rest of the group.

'What took you guys so long to come?' I ask

They look at each other and then they answer 'We had physics.' Says Sabrina. 'Lab' says Cole.

'Aha' I answer.

'What ? It's true!' Cole states.

'So that's why you guys come late for lunch? Every day of the week the past few weeks ?' I ask.

'Yes, we clean up' Sabrina answers.

'And there isn't anyone else to clean up ?' I ask again

'Well no one wants to do it' Sabrina answers again.

'And BOTH of you have to do it every day for the past few weeks? Isn't that the professors job to do it?' Scott asks before I do.
Thank goodness he did cause if I had, I would have gone nuts.

'Well...' Sabrina tries to say

'Well what Sabrina ? What is it? Are you actually cleaning up the lab or are you making out with my boyfriend ?' I ask standing up.
That came out loud.  And how do I know that ? Every head in the cafeteria turned around to check what is happening.
Meanwhile, Sabrina has turned pale and Cole takes my hand and we go outside of the cafeteria.

'Will you tell me what's going on? Cause you don't seem fine.' Cole asks

'I'm supposed to tell you?!?!?!? You're the guy who spends more time with a friend than his girlfriend. And it's not just that. We don't go out almost at all and you always have to do something else than come over my house and do something. And Sabrina too. She has to do something instead of hanging out with us. And we've been friends since elementary school. And with you...you've been my friend ever since I can remember myself. You've been my friend when I never had any. You've changed.' I tell him.

'So what if I have changed. People change. They grow up. But I don't get it. If we have been friends so long, why would I cheat on you with one of your best friends?' Cole says.

'I don't know! You tell me!!! There isn't any logical reason behind cheating. I'm your girlfriend. I've been your best friend for years. I thought we trusted each other.' I tell him and the I start punching him in the chest as I'm talking. 'You asked me out. You wanted me to become your girlfriend and you had a huge crush on me since I don't know when. You have totally forgot that I exist.' And I turn from the other side and start walking.

But before I make one step, Cole grabs my wrist, brings me close to him and kisses me in the lips.

After a while of kissing, we pull away and he puts my hands behind my back and I stand against his strong body.

' I'm not cheating on you. There is nothing going on between me and Sabrina. I'm busy studying. That's why I've been distant. I should have talked to you. I'm going to ask our physics professor to make program of who cleans up the lab each day of the week. I don't know why Sabrina talks to Dixie. We good ?' He asks

I nod and kiss him on the lips passionately as if it is the end of the world and to show that he's mine and only.

'Οk now off we go' he says breathlessly, having a red face and probably turned on.

We enter the cafeteria and I say 'All good.'

'Lucy I'm sorry. I'm talking to Dixie cause I'm tutoring her and we need to be organized. I should have talked to you. And I have no reason to...' she says but I cut her off.

'The rest I know. Cole is going to talk to your professor about the cleaning up. But Sabrina specifically talk to me. I'm one of your best friends. I'm here. We're here for you. And that goes to all of you too. No secrets.' I say.

'Οk since I need to say this anyway I'm going to say it...... my parents are fighting......again. I can't take this anymore. And sometimes it's not just verbal. Sometimes my father becomes violent. And not only to my mom.  To me and my little brother and sister. And other times, he's drunk. I'm scared. I don't know what to do or who to talk to. I've packed some stuff for me and my siblings just in case.' Sabrina states while crying.

'Sabrina come to my house. After school I'll tell Bruce to pass by your house before we get to ours. You're gonna take your bags and come. And of course we'll take your siblings too' I say.

'And we need to talk to the counselor, so she will call the police.' Amanda says.

'And don't worry about space. We have a huge house if you haven't noticed yet.' Philip says.

'But it's not my moms fault. She needs to go to therapy. She doesn't sleep, she cries a lot. And also she takes medication' Sabrina says.

'We'll have to talk to a nurse to come home and take care of her. After she's fine, you'll have to either move with us or buy a new house. No matter what you can't live there anymore. I know it's been your house since the beginning of time but it's not a nice place anymore. And your mom needs to divorce your dad.' Scott says.

After that talk, we go to class.

***skipping some hours***

'Class is dismissed and have a good rest of the day.' Our literature professor says.

We stand up and go straight to the counselor's office. I'm texting Bruce, explaining him the whole situation. After the office, we pick up Sabrina's siblings from elementary school and tell them that they're going to stay with us for a while and everything is going to be fine.

Next stop :  Sabrina's house