Chapter 22

Hannah watched as Tariq knelt before her, holding an engagement ring that he had been carrying on his person secretly for the last two months.

The pink radiant cut sapphire was flanked by two white sapphires, one on each side. The rare gemstones dazzled beautifully in the light and the sight of them threatened to temporarily hypnotise her.

At the insinuation of his words, she felt like her heart would break out of her chest. The love that she felt radiating from him threatened to bring her to her own knees. Seeing the look of love on her face gave him the extra push that he needed.

Taking a deep breath, Tariq asked, "Hannah, will you marry me..."

Before he could even finish his question properly, she blurted out, "Yes! Yes, I will marry you!"

Chuckling at her enthusiasm, he placed the ring on Hannah's finger. Tariq then stood and lifted her up in his arms. He kissed her soundly, his smile proud and wide.

"I must confess that a part of me thought that you may have said no," he whispered against her lips.

Playfully poking him in the chest, she replied, "Hey! I would not tell you I'd say yes then reject you, that's downright cruel."

"I know, but hey I am allowed to have my own self-doubts as well. Even when we're 100% sure, where proposals are concerned, I think every man has that brief flash of doubt," he kissed softly.

Hannah nodded in understanding, her eyes looking down at her left hand. Tariq's gaze followed hers, loving the way the ring looked on her finger.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"I love it!" she replied then asked, "Did you cut the stones yourself again?"

"Of course!" he replied, stating the obvious.

"I need to call Miks," Hannah said as she pulled out her phone to video call.

Mikayla's face appeared on the screen and as Hannah raised her hand to the phone's front facing camera, her best friend shrieked out in joy.

"Yes! Damien! Babe! Tariq finally asked her, I told you he would!" she shouted away from the phone.

Her husband came rushing into the room, his face appearing next to hers on the phone screen.

"Congratulations to you two!" Damien said then added, "I'm calling you now Tariq."

Kissing Hannah on the cheek, he left her to speak with Mikayla as his phone began to ring. He answered it with a laugh at whatever Damien greeted him with.

"You knew?! Hannah asked Mikayla.

Scoffing she replied, "Of course! Who you think gave him the idea for the aluminium case? Knowing your nosey ass, there's no way he'd have been able to discreetly walk around with it without you knowing."

"You snake!" Hannah laughed then added more seriously, "Thank you Miks."

"Aw hun, no need to thank me, this was all you. I'm just so proud that you didn't allow your emotions to overwhelm you, I can't wait to see you tomorrow when you land!" she said happily.

"Me too," Hannah replied.

Mikayla then moved away from the screen once again to shout at Damien, "Babe! Get off the phone and let Tariq get back to his fiancé!"

Upon hearing her best friend playfully scold her husband, Hannah could not help but giggle softly at her excitement. They said their goodbyes just as Tariq was walking back to greet her.

"Hello there, Mrs. Fiancée," he grinned as his hands rested on her hips, his eyes gazing into her own.

Smiling, she wrapped arms around his neck as she looked up at him, "Hello yourself Mr. Fiancé."