Chapter Ten

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"You there, stop!" In supersonic speed, a girl leaps through the air  with cables. She had pixie blonde hair and fiery blue eyes. Guinevere froze as she jumped before her. "You don't look like you belong here." Said she.

"I'm from the Capitol."

"Well, that explains your dress." The girl said, eagerly looking through Guinevere's cloak. "Are you somewhat a princess?"

"N-No." Guinevere nervously replied as those blue eyes scanned her from head to toe.

"Ah, so it is you. Guinevere of the Baroque family." The girl said with fortunately a smile. "Let me introduce myself. I am Fanny and I am a spy. I'm glad I stumbled upon you here. Alucard has been looking everywhere for you."

"If you're going to return to me to my parents, then I must strongly refuse!" Exclaimed Guinevere.

"Why would you run away from such a perfect life?"

"As perfect as it sounds, I'm unable to have freedom." She frowned. "I have been pressured to be perfection ever since I was little. Born into a royal family of magic I was to go to the best school in the Empire, get married to a suitable husband chosen only by my father, have children, and die. My life was already predictable and I refuse to take part in it anymore so I left."

"But why would you go to the Southern Mountains? Do you want to find your brother Lancelot?"

"No. Instead I'm looking for the Death Chanter."

"The Death Chanter? My, you won't be able to survive if you do see him. In fact no one knows what he looks like. Until now, though. I heard the demons have spread his image for one of them shockingly survived the tribe massacre."

"One of them survived?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Though I suppose the Death Chanter wouldn't be a mystery anymore. He'd be a legend like Alucard."

Guinevere reminisced the first time she saw the almighty Alucard which was last night. She was the one who sent him at her party after plagiarising her father's name and sending him a letter of warning against an inescapable demon dwelling behind the castle's walls, which turned out to be only a porcupine mutant, one of her early experiments of studying Dark magic.

"Milady, forgive me but I should send you back, no matter how much you will resist for it is now my duty to do so, not just Alucard's."

Guinevere backs away before Fanny could secure steel handcuffs on her arms. It was coated with a damage proof spell. "I can't turn around now that I am close!"

"Can't you see that finding the Death Chanter would be inevitable? You'll only get yourself killed trying to find him in the Mountains."

"I rather die of finding him than to continue living hell going back to that godforsaken castle." Guinevere said in a wavering monotone. After summoning her magical abilities, she was able to make her escape by jumping a couple of meters away. Fanny smiled, willing to play her game. "You can hide but you can never outrun me, milady!"

⚜️⚜️⚜️

In the House of the Paxleys, Gusion hasn't been getting any sleep ever since Guinevere left. How could she run away in their engagement party? She had already accepted his proposal so why must she leave him all of a sudden? Unless she was taken away by force.

But Gusion remembered no one in the party that could be a potential suspect, except for Alucard and his brother. Was it his brother or twin? Seemed it was despite he had the same blonde hair and blue eyes Alucard has.

Gusion has been flicking his silver engagement ring for fast few hours. He never left his seat on the edge of his bed, nor had any interest in doing his routine knife practice, despite that it was his favorite thing to do in the day. 

His family was of no help. They suggest that there would be other more suitable ladies in the Land for him although they already know no one would be suitable enough in his heart but Guinevere.

He hoped she never threw her engagement ring away, nor did she ran away at her own will. He would never forgive himself if he finds out she lied to him, telling him she feels the same way, out of sheer pity.

"That is it!" Gusion snapped, clenching the ring in his fist. "I can't just wait here anymore. I should be the one to find her for I'm her fiancé, not anyone else. Oh God, I should've left hours ago."

Gusion pinches the bridge of his nose for the second time, getting infuriated. "I'm coming for you, Guinevere... My love."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Miss Violet?" Fanny called out to the dead beat silence of the Celestial Palace. "Come out, come out wherever you are." The spy sang with a thrilled chuckle.

In the distance, Guinevere waited for Fanny to stand still so she could attack. After Fanny had stopped ambling about, Guinevere jumped towards Fanny and enabled her anti-gravity magic, loosening all of Fanny's strength.

Before Guinevere could finish her, Fanny threw her cable and she escaped. "Just you wait... He'll be here."

"What do you mean he'll be here?" Guinevere asked confidently with a smirk.

Fanny glances at the person approaching behind them and leaves in haste. "Good luck with the ninja, milady."

"Ninja-?" Before Guinevere could finish her sentence, someone appeared behind her, overpowering her mercilessly that she fell to the ground, feeling done. Looking around, she sees no one but herself. Who was her new opponent? Could it be, the Death Chanter has came to her at last?

"Come out of there at once!" She shouted. "I've come not to battle except to get past through the Battlefield."

"Anyone who enters the battlefield must be battle-ready." an untraceable gentle male voice spoke. Just after he spoke, triple kunai flied across the air, heading for Guinevere. After jumping out of the way, she decided she couldn't take this enemy by herself so she made an escape.

That couldn't be the Death Chanter. He would remember her, or has he forgotten her already?

Guinevere sees that she is now halfway through the Palace. There were two paths she needed to choose from. On the left, echoed a pained scream of a woman. And on the right was only silence. Sensibly she chose the right path.

"Shadow kill!"

A gasp escaped her soft red lips when the ninja attacked her again. She couldn't hit him with her magical balls as well for he was impossible to spot. He was one agile assassin, she'll give him that.

"Don't test me!" She exclaimed in anger instead of fear. "Just let me go, for everyone's sake?" Guinevere pleaded. The ninja made another painful strike until someone appeared, throwing magical daggers everywhere.

As Gusion wrapped his arms around her for protection, the daggers returned to his direction, stabbing through the ninja as he quickly escaped.

Guinevere tensed. The last thing she would want to see is Gusion Paxley. When the coast was clear, he lets her injured body go slowly and asked about her well-being.

"I'm fine, Gusion. But you shouldn't be here."

It was a nasty reply. He couldn't believe she was in avoidance.

"So I want the truth," he said, straightforwardly. "Violet, do you really love me or not?"

Her brows furrowed in frustration, unable to answer his question. Gusion held both of her hands, hoping it would change her mind.

"If you say no, then I will swear to myself that I will never love again for you're the only love of my life."

"Gusion, I..."