Chapter Twenty-Two

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Guinevere frowned. Then it turned into a scowl, again. She couldn't stop blaming herself, how she's so powerful yet so... stupid. She could've easily dodged Helcurt's attack if she wasn't as slow. Was it because of the hormonal changes in her body, of the baby, causing her reflexes to be delayed?

She doesn't even know how to tell Granger about it, even though he's been staring at her heavily occupied state for the past couple of minutes.

He was at the other side of the room, sitting at the window seat where Swan Lake could be overlooked in a scenic panorama.

The bedroom decor was had girlish pastel colors which was how a little girl's bedroom should be, though it was only one of the few guest bedrooms in Oddette's Castle.

The bedroom was familiar, similar to Guinevere's in the Baroque Palace. She knows she will never go back there but she admits she misses the comfort of her sheets and her battles with sleep in the morning.

Granger acknowledged the bedroom's innocent and childish design too. He imagined it belonged to a little girl. In the morning, she's being awaken by her parents. Her mom opening the curtains while her father lifts her up into the air, energizing her soul for the day.

Granger remembers his father used to throw him around like a doll, fortunately no bones were broken. His mother would be cooking breakfast in their little kitchen. The conversation they had is still vivid in Granger's mind. They were talking about getting their beloved little boy a puppy for his birthday.

He never gotten his present though because a day before his birth, the War of the Empire and the Southern Mountains had ransacked his village, including its people. And his parents.

He was later on brought to the Monastery by the Imperial Army. His life changed since then, promising to himself he would fight for no one but himself.

Of course, his selfish promise had altered. He was going to protect not himself anymore, but the person he loves.

Guinevere was born of talent and royalty. She was his complete polar opposite, but his heart knows why he's the one in hers.

Not that opposites attract, but they simply shared the same dreams, and Guinevere admits she sort of has a thing for antisocial demon killer.

Guinevere had looked up, glancing at Granger. He looks up too and makes eye contact. Both of their bodies grew warm as they looked away, both flushed.

"Why... are you so far away from me?" Guinevere softly asked, avoiding his glance. She bites her lower lip nervously, patting the space beside her. "Come here."

"I'm comfortable here." Granger declined, turning to look outside and pretending to admire the view.

Guinevere shook her head, smiling, before making a move. She stood up and stretched in her pink pajamas, yawning tiredly. She was sleepy still but she needed his physical comfort.

She claimed the spot next to him and as she was about to place her head on his shoulder, she pulls back when her chin almost collided with his coat's spikes.

"Remove the jacket!" She seethed.

"No, thank you." He replied lowly.

"I'm not requesting. I'm ordering you to."

"No."

"No?" Guinevere pouted childishly.

Granger sighed in defeat. "'Kay fine." He groaned in his typical bored tone. Yet she knows that bored tone could make anyone's skin crawl.