Chapter 4

El anxiously bounced her leg up and down as she eyed the clock from her desk. She's desperate for class to end.

It's almost time for lunch and she's starving. Usually she goes to the library during lunch, but she missed breakfast, so she's really hungry.

She glanced at the clock one more time and that's when the bell finally rang. She shot up from her desk, grabbed her books, then raced to the door.
She pushed it open then ran down the hall.

A huge sign on the wall was the thing that's stopped El from running. She stopped and turned to read what it said.

'The FireFly Festival!'

She read in cursive letters. She glanced below it.

'On September 22! Come out with your friends and family to watch all the beautiful fireflies at the Meadow!'

She saw a bunch of drawn on fireflies on the poster, then smiled.

The door beside her was thrown open hard, causing it to fly toward her and hit her head. She dropped her books and fell to the ground.

A throbbing sensation rushed to her head and she groaned in pain.

"Oh, shit! I'm so sorry!" Mike said, then scrambled to the ground. "Are you okay?" He asked, standing on his knees in front of her.

She averted her gaze to him and recognized his hair. He ran into her a few days ago. Literally. But this time it felt different. She observed his features and found herself getting lost in his freckles that are scattered across his cheekbones and nose. His dark brown eyes that were nearly black. His broad shoulders and tall, lanky frame.

"Yeah." She replied, sitting up. Mike furrowed his eyebrows when her heard her speak that word.

He has to hear it again.

"We've gotta stop meeting like this." He tried to chuckle. But when she didn't laugh or even crack a smile, he went silent. "I'm sorry. Again." He added and she just nodded.

She started packing up her things, and he helped, too.

El got to her feet, and stood in front of the sign again. Mike saw what she was looking at and observed it, too.

"The Firefly Festival." He read. "Are you going?" He looked at her. She only glanced at him for a second then back to the board.

"No." She muttered. He bit his lip, trying to process her voice completely and figure out where he's heard it before.

"Erm... uh, have we met before? Or, spoken to each other another time?" He asked, turning his whole body to her.

"You ran into me a few days ago?" She said, glancing at him.

That time he swears they've talked to each other even before that. Her voice sounds so familiar.

"Yeah, I remember that. It's just that, your voice sounds so familiar to me." He told her. She furrowed her eyebrows and look around herself.

"Uh, sorry... I don't know." She shrugged. Mike shook his head.

"You don't have to apologize, it's just bugging me that I can't figure out why you sound familiar to me."