Reality or a Dream?/The Klub

A little girl looks out the window at the snow falling outside. She presses her hands to glass, looking out in wonder. She turns around to her mother, a tall well-dressed woman in her thirties.

"Mommy! Look outside! Can we play?? Please?" The woman sighs and places a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Let's wait for Daddy to come home, honey." The little girl pouts. "When's he coming back?"

The woman hugs her and says "Soon I'm sure."

"What does that mean Mommy?"

"It means he'll be back before the snow stops." She smiles.

However, the snow did stop. And he did not come back.

A little girl without her daddy, unaware of where he had gone. Why didn't he come back? Doesn't he miss her?

A woman without her husband. Did he stop loving her? Was he with someone new?

And finally, a man who left his whole world behind. What would become of his estranged daughter? Would she ever forgive him?

It's all in the past now...

Emily wakes up in a cold sweat. She took a few moments to catch her breath while her chocolate brown eyes scanned her surroundings. She was alone in her bed. A pile of clothes sat on the chair across the room, begging to be put where they belonged. Emily rolled out of bed and grabbed the clothes on the chair. She put them in the laundry basket in her bathroom. Emily looked in the mirror. Her eyes had bags under them, her face looked pale and she was covered in sweat. She grabbed a towel and wiped her face off. 'What the hell was that dream? It reminded me of... my dad.' She thought. Her thoughts trailed off and the memories flooded in.

Emily's dad left her when she was seven years old. He went to the market and never came back. She remembers the day like it was yesterday. It was just like the dream. On a cold winter's day, her father had gone out for groceries. Emily was with her mom. She said he would come back soon and then we could all play outside in the snow. Not too long later, Emily's mom knew the truth. Rumors spread like wildfire in a small town like that. But this was no rumor. Emily's dad left the market with another woman. She was never the same woman after that. She stayed in her room more often. She smiled less, her face almost in an eternal frown. Her eyes never had the same light again. And Emily? She grew up without a dad.

Emily walked out into the kitchen, almost like a zombie. Her hands shook as she made coffee for herself.

Mrrowwww...

Emily's cat Cadillac came out from the bathroom. 'Where was he a minute ago? I was just in there..' she thought. "Hi Caddy, sweetheart." She reached down to pet him. He purred and rubbed against her leg. His raven black fur was so soft. Emily drank her coffee and began to get ready for the work day. It was a Friday morning and she was working her usual shift as a bartender at The Klub. The bar didn't open until 10, but she had to be there at 8 to get it ready. "I'll be back later Cadillac. I love you, honey." She picked up her cat and kissed his forehead. He chirped and she put him down onto the floor. Emily got in her car and left for the bar.

When Emily arrived at The Klub, only her manager was there. "Good morning. Do you need anything, Ms. Williams?" The tall, graceful woman ran her fingers through her dark, curly hair. "Yes, please. Can you clean off the counters, Emily? The early risers will be here before you know it. And for the last time, you can call me Kiara." She flashed her dazzling white smile at Emily. "I'm on it, boss." She followed Kiara inside. Kiara went into a room in the back and Emily grabbed a wet rag, beginning to wipe down the bar.

Kiara stepped out minutes later to admire the work Emily had done. "Thank you. You always do such a great job here." "Appreciate it." Emily nodded. Kiara walked over to the door and turned on the open sign. The flashing lights came on and Emily walked behind the bar. "We're ready for business."