Confrontation

Dime led the way into the horrid scene ahead. I followed him inside to face Phil, Rex and Vinnie standing before Richard and worst of all, my father. "Well, what do we have here? Is this the Emily Grace Wintergreen?" Richard turned around to face me. He had his gun on his hip (but I'll bet the guys have a bigger one) and a smug smirk on his face. "Richard." I replied, mouth set in a blank line. Dimebag stood in front of me to protect me and I held onto him instinctively. I hope it didn't make Phil angry. "Emily? Sweetheart, I am so sorry... I wanted to see you. Your mom never told me where you were." He looked positively shocked to see me. I tapped on Dime's shoulder to let him know to let me see my father. He stood right beside me instead. I responded, "Why would she? You left us and never came back, remember?" He frowned. He knows I'm right and he's lost for words for a second. Then he speaks again "Emily, I made a mistake. I didn't know what I was doing. And I surely didn't want to lose you. Look at you now. I don't even recognize you." My eyebrows furrowed and my mouth set itself in a frown. "Don't recognize me? Yeah I'd imagine. You left when I was 8. What do you know? I'm all grown up now." The bitter tone must have struck a chord with him.

"Emily, stop it. That isn't the problem. This--" He gestures to my appearance and outfit. I wore a black Motley Crue halter top and high-waisted jean shorts. I had my spiked boots on my feet and had smudged eye makeup on my face. "It isn't you. It isn't the sweet Emily Grace I know. And now you're hanging with these... hooligans? They're deadbeats and nobodies. Their band probably sounds like shit and won't make it. Tell me, Emily. Do you smoke and drink now? What would your mother think? Surely she hasn't seen you either. Shame on you. Now I know I left, but your mother raised you. Let's go home Emily." I looked him dead in the eyes, "No. I am not going anywhere with you. I thought maybe you came to give me a true apology, but you're only here to judge me. This is who I am now." I held Dime's arm closer. "This is me. I'm not going to change and for your information, Mom has seen me since I moved. I've gone up to visit her. She still loves me and accepts me. If you can't get with that, there's the door. You can leave this studio. You can leave my friends and I alone."

Both my father and Richard tensed up. So did the guys in response. Rex looked visibly upset standing behind the couch with a beer in hand. Vinnie stood a few feet from Richard with his arms crossed. Phil looked positively pissed. I'm not sure if it was just my father's presence or the fact that Dime and I were so physically close. It was probably both. Dime just held onto me closer. I didn't know how I felt about it. I had so many mixed emotions about my situation with my father and with Dime and Phil. I like Phil but Dime's embrace is so warm. I feel so safe. I just know for sure I am staying here in Texas. I will not move back to Pennsylvania with my father. Finally my father spoke for the last time that night, "You'll change your mind, sweetheart. Just wait. These sorry-ass men won't protect you forever and you'll come running back to dear old Dad. And don't think I'm going to let go of this easily either. I'll be back. Richard here is staying in Texas. He'll let me know if anything is awry. Isn't that right, Richie?" Richard pulled out his gun and flipped it around. I could feel Dime reach for his, not taking it out, but just holding his hand there. "Just remember sweet Emily Grace, I've got eyes everywhere."

And with that, my father left without Richard. Richard must've thought we'd let him stay or some shit because Phil had to force him out. Everyone else walked out with him, just to make sure Richard left. "Well that was abhorrent." Rex said, running a hand through his hair. Everyone agreed with him, all expressing their distaste for the situation and sharing their thoughts. I really didn't know what to do or how to process this. It was almost as bad as when Dime told me he knew my father. My mind just shut down and I headed for the hall closet, trying to avoid the guys. I ducked inside to cry and hoped they wouldn't notice.

That did not last long. About ten minutes later, I heard a knock at the closet door. "Hey Emily. I know you're in there. Will you come out?" It was Dimebag. Great, just great. The last person I would want to see me like this. "No..." I mumbled. "Well okay. Can I at least come in?" I thought for a second and decided I'd let him in. The door creaked open slowly and I scooted to the back of the closet. I saw his face, wrought with worry, looking down at me.