Chapter Six

Days before, the warm wind blew in the open field that afternoon. Some boys were playing a football match after school. 

The ball was passed to Chris who ran with it with a stern expression. He could not afford to lose. He dribbled two opponents but as he was about to pass to his team mate, his right foot came in contact with a large rock and he fell.

The opposing team thankfully did not take advantage and his team surprisingly scored. Chris sat on the grassy field examining his toes for any injury. The rock had hit two toes causing one to bleed. Tobi although from the opposing side ran to meet Chris. He put his hand out for Chris to grab.

Chris eyed the gesture with suspicion. He sighed and took it anyways. The blinding sun shone intensely on the open field.

''Thanks'' he said, grunting a little in pain. Tobi put his arm around Chris'shoulder and helped him to a tap to wash.

While Tobi was washing, Chris who had just finished, received a text from Amanda. He smiled and replied. Tobi looked at him with questioning eyes, curious to know who he just texted.

''It's a friend Amanda. Girls, they like novels too much'' he answered and sighed. He took one of his socks and wore it on his right foot.

Tobi knew he had to research about his release a little if he wanted to get it and here it was on a golden platter.

''Yeah. Especially the cheesy ones. So unrealistic'' he commented, while washing off dirt from his arms.

''Yeah. Amanda is too obsessed with them. She even believes in them'' Chris said with slight disgust. Tobi chuckled at his comment. ''What's wrong with believing'' he thought silently to himself ''if it's in my favour then, I don't mind''

''Amanda. I think she is your class, right?'' Chris asked pointing at him unsure.

''No. Never heard of her'' Tobi replied, shaking his head and he walked away to meet his friends.

''Too easy'' Tobi thought with a sly grin, while holding his shoes in both hands and walking majestically ''just too easy''

Chris stared at him as he walked away. He sighed and looked to the sky. The rays of the blinding sun hit his hazel eyes and he looked away.

                                                                   ****

The present day, Amanda ironed the clothes she would wear to his house, whistling. She had woken up with an almost permanent smile. Nimi noticed but did not bother asking questions. He had a running stomach.

After ironing, Chimamanda laid the clothes on her bed. She let out a breath and broadened her smile, her dimples deepening.

After waiting for Nimi, they finally started the journey to Glover Secondary School. Nene watched Amanda from a distance. Amanda had got out of the car and was walking to school. She walked with a spring in her step and a broad smile on her face.

''The day is brighter when your smile outshines the sun'' Nene commented walking to meet Amanda. Amanda turned to smile at Nene waiting for her to catch up. 

''How was your competition?'' she asked, remembering the drill and trying to change the subject. She was not ready to tell Nene what was going on.

''Great'' Nene almost squealed, beaming. She told Amanda all that had happened during it as the girls walked to school. 

Hours later, school ended and the girls walked out of the school gate. They waved each other goodbye. Amanda got home ecstatic. She took her uniform off and went to take a warm bath. She scrubbed and scrubbed until she was satisfied.

She wore the clothes she had selected after cleaning herself with a towel, they were a pair of high waist denim jeans and a pink crop top. The outfit displayed her flat stomach and she loved it. 

She wore a coat of lip gloss on her pink lips and smacked them together. She put on a pair of pink crocs to match her shirt. She stepped out of her room beaming. Thankfully, her brother who had a running stomach, was doing his business. Using that opportunity, she snuck out.

She walked briskly to collect the books.