Chapter Eight: Her Beloved

It was a new week at Glover Secondary School. The corridors were littered with students hanging near their classes or standing near the railing.

Amanda rushed to her class panting as she felt she was already late. She got there with beads of sweat on her forehead. She noticed there was a frenzy in her class.

It appeared everyone was copying something in groups. It scared her because she felt she did not forget any assignments. She walked to a group where they frantically wrote from a book.

"What are you guys copying?" she asked no one in particular.

"English assignment. I heard she is using it as part of our Continuous Assessment" a tall dark girl who was writing hurriedly said.

"Oh" Amanda breathed in relief.

They all turned to stare at her in disbelief.

"So you have done it?" Caleb asked shocked.

"Yes" she shrugged with a toothy smile.

Almost immediately, half of the group ran to copy from her. She gave them her note to copy happily.

"Ah, you actually did it?" Tobi asked, staring at her with a sly smirk.

"Yes" she replied in a small voice blushing. They continued to stare at each other while the rest of the class watched the scene.

"So you are actually smart?" he asked playfully.

"What is that supposed to mean?" she asked with a scowl.

"It's just a question" he replied calmly.

"Oh" she said blushing.

"I did not know fine girls were this smart" he pretended to murmur to a boy next to him. Everyone heard his comment clearly but shrugged it off. Amanda's caramel face beamed and she continued to blush.

Caleb shook his head at the scene.

                                                                               ** 

It was the last period before school ended. Amanda walked to the large field located at the right corner of her school. The boys in her class were playing a match against the boys in another. It was a football match.

It was windy that afternoon as the wind blew heavily at her skirt and hair. Amanda held on to her skirt and the book in her hand. She was going to return it to Tobi.

The book had really been interesting. It displayed the heartwarming relationship between a broken mother and her patient daughter. Amanda wanted to tell him how she viewed the book and all she felt about its characters.

Her eyes scanned the field for his shiny ebony skin. She found him under a tree washing. She walked towards him avoiding the balls being shot in her direction and the wind which blew her skirt.

She reached him still washing his arms and legs. He was completely shirtless. She lost her breath at the sight of his slightly muscular upper body. He continued to wash without noticing her.

"I came to return it " she placed the book in front of her, finally finding her voice. He turned around finally noticing her. The wind blew her long braids. He noticed that her eyes were on his body and he smirked.

"I can't really take it right now" he said raising his wet hands to show her his situation and give a clearer view of his upper body.

"So I should come over to give you, right?" she said her lips apart. She was memorising the sight.