Chapter Ten

It had been a week since their parents had travelled to New York. Nimi's stomach ache had not ceased yet. It faded in the morning and became more prominent at night. He was not ready to complain to anyone yet.

Meanwhile, his sister had become more distant.
It had become more obvious on Tuesday. They were getting ready to go to school that morning.
Nimi was putting his shoes on in the living room. Amanda walked in with a smug look. Her hands were busy pulling her loose braids together.

"Nimi, please don't let your shoes touch the couch" she said, staring at her reflection.
"Hmm?" he asked unsure of what she had just said. As his head rose to look at her, his shoes brushed against the bottom of the couch leaving a polish stain.

Amanda growled when she saw it. "What did I just say?" she barked furiously as she turned, lunging at her brother.
"I don't know" he said in confusion.
"I said your shoes mustn't touch the couch, Nimi" she barked.
She then pulled off his shoes and threw them to the other side of the room staining the white rug.
"Oh look what you have done" she yelled. Her eyes pierced into his face.
Nimi was furious. "I didn't do anything" he barked, shoving her towards the glass table at the centre. A stained glass bowl was placed at its centre.

"Yes you did"
"No I didn't"
"Yes you did"
"No I did not. I didn't even hear you when you said it" he retorted angrily pushing the stained glass bowl on the table.
"Stop that" Amanda growled, returning the bowl to its former position.
"No" Nimi pushed it back.
"Stop"
"No"
"Stop"
"Noo" he pushed it and it broke into shreds. Some shreds sliced her skin. Blood started to flow out.
"Now look what you have done" Amanda cried in pain.
Nimi sat there speechless staring at the deep wound on her right arm.
"Get the kit" she yelled in pain, bringing him back to their present state.
"Oh" he said rushing to the kitchen.

After her arm had been cleaned up and covered with a bandage, they both sat at the back seat of the car on their way to school.

The distance between them was prodigious. It seemed to be filled with tension, anger and resentment. If it was possible, Amanda in her rage, would have stopped them from breathing the same air.

😁
I'm back.