Break Free

(A few Queen references in this one. Also, she grabbed her converse on the way to the basement)

I can't keep my mind off of Josh. Sliding against the wall, I hug the shotgun close to me. I hear all of my friends talking around me. "People will come for us. In the morning," Sam says. I hear a noise, causing me to jump and aim the shotgun. I look at the fallen broom on the floor. 

"Sorry. That was just me," Ashley hold her hands up. 

I sigh and relax. I keep my eyes fixed on one point of the floor. "Psst, Lilah," I turn my head to the sound. I see Chris calling me over. I set the gun down and walk over to him. He pats the desk next to him, inviting me to sit. I hoist myself onto the desk. He wraps his arm around me and we curl up together. "Thanks for helping me out there. I'm not sure I would've made it on my own," I don't verbally respond. I just curl closer to him and pat his thigh. "I'm sorry, Lilah. I know you were really into Josh. I mean, he has been a best friend of mine for many years, but you cared for him in a way I didn't. It must be tough. I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. If I had stayed with him-"

"Don't start that," he interrupts. I nod softly and lay my head on his shoulder. Soon, Mike leaves to look for the cable car keys. I grab my converse from beside me and put them on, as it'll be easier to run and move in them. 

Ashley speaks up. "This says because the Wendigos are mutated from humans, when they hunt us, they know how to perfectly mimic their prey."

I sigh and shake my head. Pushing myself off the desk, I walk over and begin searching through The Stranger's stuff. Soon, Sam and Ashley read something and begin worrying. We all leave the safety of the basement to find Mike. Soon, Chris stops. "Hey, uhm, I'm kinda gimping out here, guys. I think maybe you should go on without me."

"No, Chris. We're not leaving you. We're sticking together. Mike will just have to wait," Ashley argues. I press the edge of my flashlight against my forehead, waiting on him. Chris nods and we continue on our journey. We end up having to go down a water drain because Mike locked the door behind him. 

Sam looks at us. "So, who's going first?" I step forward, not saying a word. "Are you sure? You've been through a lot already tonight."

I sit on the ground and position my legs on the ladder. "Who wants to live forever?" I shrug and grin. I strap my shotgun on my back and climb down. Soon, I'm followed by Sam, Em, Chris, and Ash. We keep moving, leaving Ash to close off the drain. As we hop down, I land funny on my ankle. "Fuck!" I whisper-yell. 

"You alright?" Em asks. 

I nod and rotate my ankle, stretching out the pain. "We can't stop, guys," Sam says. 

"Carry on as if nothing really matters," I shrug and keep walking on, slightly limping. Soon, Ashley catches back up with us. 

"The ladders toast. We'll never be able to make it up there," Ashley points out. 

Sam speaks up. "No, no, no. I think can... I think I can do it. It's like... a rock wall. I'm gonna keep going. You should head back to the lodge. I gotta get Mike," Sam says. I step up with her. 

"I'm coming to," I say, looking at the wall. She looks at me with look saying 'Absolutely-the-fuck-not'. "Look, you need protection. I'm trained."

"You're hurt," she argues.

I shake my head. "You expect Em to be able to climb this wall and shot this gun," I hold up the shotgun. "Too much kick for her and Ashley would have a damn panic attack before she pulled the trigger," I turn to back to Ashley. "No offense, dear. You're welcome to some of these if you need them. Only two," I pull out my pill bottle and toss them to her. She catches it and nods. "Injured or not, I'm your best bet. Not letting you go out there alone," I say. Sam sighs.