Five

"Come on Kelsey!!! Keep up!" Beth, the head coach for the cheerleaders yelled as we ran around the lengthy stadium. I sighed, gasping for breath, attempting to catch up with the rest of the girls.

Beth blew her whistle after our 10th lap and I immediately collapsed to the floor.

"Okay ladies! Get some water and we'll start the routine." She snapped.

I quickly jogged to the pitcher and snatched a cup to drink. The coolness form the crisp water instantly relieved me. I dropped to the ground to finish dabbing droplets of sweat from my face.

"Not so easy as it looks?" a pretty brunette plopped down next to me. I nodded and chuckled tiredly.

"Natalie but you can call me Nat" she introduces herself.

"Kesley" I smile as we shook hands.

"You'll definitely be the fan favorite" she smirks, as she observed my soft features.

"Fan favorite?" I ask, unsure of her words.

"Each season the fans of the Cowboys obsess over one girl from the squad. It's been Beth every year."
she pointed to the perky brunette that had stared me down earlier.

"Her? But she's nothing special?" I shrugged, my new friend looked light years better than her.

"Either way, she was the favorite, but now? There is fresh new blood. You"

My eyes fall onto Beth as she practiced the steps for the routine. Her golden orbs focused on me and she scowled.

"She seems to love me" I chuckled sarcastically.

"She does that to all the new recruits. Don't mind her" she rolled her eyes and smiled.

"Okay ladies! Let's line up and practice the mid air splits" A younger cheerleader called for our attention. I could tell she was a veteran by her blue uniform.

Each of your small group leaders will lead the counts so you all break into your groups of 10 and we'll start"

——-

After a couple of hours of practicing, Cathy and her assistant came to observe our progress. Our first game was next Saturday and only perfection was expected.

"Okay group 10! Let's go!" Cathy yelled. She had a wooden clipboard in her hand, taking notes of each girl.

I inhaled to relieve my nerves and shake my Pom poms to get ready. "Kesley why don't you stand to the front?" Cathy smiled innocently but I knew she wanted to critique my every move.

I nod obediently and go to the front.The upbeat music started and soon, I was dancing with each beat. I definitely outshined the others and I knew all eyes were on me. Her hips shook with purpose. I knew she would bring a new light to the team. The girls cheered and clapped as I finished, not missing a beat.

"Wonderful group 10. That was great Kesley" Cathy clapped. I knew by her words, we were ready to perform.

The cheers from the stadium pounded in my ears as I stretched one last time.

"You ready?" Nat asked me.

I nod but my nerves were apparent.

"You look like a wreck" she chuckled. I liked her for her honesty.

"Is it that obvious?" I frown.

"Here's what I say. If you act sexy, they'll believe you're sexy. Just pretend you are a different person when you hit the stage. Like an alter ego."