Four

"Okay! Fine! I'll do it!" I sigh, already knowing my fate was sealed.

"Oh I just knew you would!" She smiled and pulled me from my chair.

"Oh! How old are you? All our girls must be 18 by the time the first game starts"

"17" I sheepishly grin.

"But you said you were at Texas State!"

"I graduated high school early. They allowed me to start at 16 years old since I took a whole bunch of Dual enrollment and AP classes" I humbly brag. "But I'm turning 18 in the fall! That's only 5 months from now!"

Mrs. Simmons ignored my age, unfazed by the small roadblock and ushered me to a fitting room where a group of the other girls eagerly waited to be fitted. "Well... your 18 if anyone asks? Crystal" she whispered.

I nod and she sighs with relief.

"Girls! I have an announcement!" she yelled for their attention. They all huddled around and stared at me curiously, "Meet the final member of the DCC cheer team! Numbe 21 Kesley!"

They all clapped politely and smiled.

"Ms. Cathy...with all due respect? How? Did she go through without an audition? How do we know she can even dance?" a perky blonde woman stepped out from the crowd. Just by her glare I knew we wouldn't get along.

"Never mind that Becca!" Ms. Simmons shooed her away and dragged me to the front of the line, ushering me onto a wooden pedestal.
"Here Kesley. Give me those!" She grabbed my bag and notebook and tossed them to the floor.

The tailor took my measurements and quickly shoved a uniform in my arms. "Try it on and come back out so we can take it in for size."

I nod awkwardly and change in the bathrooms.

"Kesley what size are you in shoes?"

"Umm 8?" She came in with her eyes closed and pushed boots outside the curtains.

"Come on Kesley! There's not much to the uniform! We're ready!" Ms. Simmons yelled.

I take a deep breath and go outside to face the girls.

"Oh! Perfect!" Mrs Simmons gasped. The tailor nodded in approval as she folded and tucked different areas of the skimpy shorts.

 The tailor nodded in approval as she folded and tucked different areas of the skimpy shorts

"the shorts are too long" she curses.

"Too long? Any shorter and it would be a thong!" I exclaimed. They chucked and continue to adjust.

"Okay Kesley. Now, you must go in front of the council of Dallas Cowboys men and associates and they must approve. If they like you in the uniform, your in." She whispered as if it were an easy task.

"This will fully pay off my debt to you?"

"Yes yes sure. Don't worry we'll go over details later!" she pushed me out the clear glass doors and into a open room. A line of men and women sat in a row of chairs observing each girl.