chapter 14

I collapse on the ground infront of their grave. Tears are freely flowing down my face. I want to hold them one more time. I hear a voice calling my name. I look up to see Jaime and Tony making their way over. I can't move. I feel paralysed. They sit down beside me, one each side.
"Owen, Rhys. These guys are Tony and Jaime. They've been helping me the last few weeks" I say.
"Cate, please don't cry. Come here baby" Jaime whispers, pulling me to him.
"I can't afford their headstone yet. I haven't even finished paying off the funeral. That's why I had to take your job, Tony. Without both our incomes and all the other expenses, I couldn't afford my rent. The funeral should be paid off in a couple of months then I can get their headstone sorted" I gulp out. I feel so guilty that their grave looks so neglected. Tony pulls me up, wraps his arms around me. He gives me a massive hug and kisses my head. Jaime wraps his arms around me from behind. I'm basically sandwiched between them. We stay like for a few minutes, before walking to the car. Tony had driven while Jaime had followed me on foot. Tony gets in the drivers seat while Jaime sits in the back with me, his fingers tangled in my own.

We soon arrive back at Tony's house. Vic and Mike have been watching Scarlett. I go in and go straight upstairs. I grab my bear and squeeze its paw.
"I love you Cate. I love you mammy."
I hear their voices.
Jaime stands in the doorway. He smiles.
"Whenever you need to squeeze that paw, do it. That's beautiful" he says as he kisses my forehead. I lie down on the bed, pulling him down with me. I feel something move in my stomach. I quickly put his hand there and he looks at me, amazement in his eyes as he feels the baby move.
"What does that feel like to you?" he asks.
"Like a butterfly I guess" I say smiling.
"Thank you" he whispers. I look at him puzzled.
"For letting me share this with you" he says, kissing me. I respond by kissing him back. Passionately.