Chapter Three

Flamestar's {POV} 

        As I walked out of the den I thought about these so called wolves. One of my warriors came to my den earlier that day telling me about strange scents. I had brushed it off, just assuming it was a wild dog or something else that was unimportant to our way of life. As I laid in my den I curled into a ball with my tail covering my nose. I slowly let the temptation of sleep grasp me in its loving arms. I finally awoke the next morning when the sun was high in the sky. A single bird was singing its song and I stood up. As I walked outside I noticed that many of the patrols had already left and that my deputy Blazefur was looking at me. I knew that he had feelings for me and, I...I... Felt the Same For Him? No, no it can't be. I'm a leader. I don't have time for a mate, and I don't even think that he feels that strongly about me. Ahh, Blazefur. The way his red fur glints in the sunlight just makes me blush. When I snapped out of my mooning over Blazefur I realized that I had been staring at him, and he was coming this way. 

        "Hey, um, do you want to, um, go hunting with me." Blazefur cautiously asked, "If you don't want to that's totally ok, I mean I was just wondering."

        "I would love that" I replied. "Can we go at sunhigh, so I can finish planing for the battle?" 

        "Of course." Blazefur then looked up at me with loving eyes.

        At that moment I could tell that he felt the same way about me as I felt about him. Blazefur flicked his tail hapily as he walked away to go and watch the apprentices train. 

       As I sat on the top of my den. I thought about the coming battle, and the strange creatures. I wished that I had listened to my warriors. I started to form a plan in my mind for the upcoming battle and realized that I had not thought about who would be coming. Hmm, I will go, no durr, and Blazefur should stay so he can help guard the camp, yes that makes sense. I will take Splashbelly, Stormysky, Sparktail, Leapordspots and her apprentice, Spazpaw, Fiveclaw, Strongclaw, Ivyblossom and her apprentice, Burpaw, and, hmm... Poisonfang and Sweetpaw? That last part surprised me. I didn't understand why I felt I should take her, but I just did. Maybe it was Starclan sending me a message that I needed to, but she is timid and I have never seen her fighting skills. I decided that I would go and watch her right now. I think I saw her and her mentor leave for the training clearing a little while ago. I walked out not caring who saw me.

        At the training clearing, I walked in the shadows and when no one was looking, I told Poisonfang what I was about to do and told him to play along. I walked away and found a puddle of mud. I soon started rolling in it to mask my looks and smell. Then I stalked up behind Sweetpaw and pounced on her back pinning her. Thankfully it was just her and her mentor in the training hollow. Poisonfang had slipped out of the area just before I had come in and let out a screech of terror that was so realistic, if I had not known about the plan I would have thought it was real. Sweetpaw's eye's widened in fear, she didn't recognize me, thank Starclan. I decided to sheathe my claws and let her make the first move. I knew that her claws would be out and I would most likely get injured, but I knew that this was the only way to truely know how well she would fight. Plus I didn't think that she could do much damage anyways.

        Sweetpaw surprised me by instead of rolling over on me, crouching down into a submissive form. Honestly I didn't think that she would be a good fighter, but I didn't expect her to just give up. I loosened up my grip and was caught off my guard when she suddenly surged upward sending me in the direction of the large cedar at the edge of the clearing that the apprentices used for climbing training. Sweetpaw had so much power that I was thrown and hit the tree several fox lengths off the ground. I hit the ground with a sickening thud. I tried to get up, but was dizzy and unstable. When I could finally see straight I noticed that Sweetpaw was charging towards me. I could tell that she expected me to sidestep, so I decided to throw her for a loop and as soon as she came close I jumped above her head. Although she was confused for a second, Sweetpaw regained her senses and threw her paw up, with claws extended, and made contact with my stomach. I was unbalanced from the blow and landed in a heap. I held my breath as she walked up to me. A horrified expression was on her face, I could tell that she thought she killed me.