car radio

i ponder of something great, my lungs will fill and then deflate. they fill with fire, exhale desire, I know its dire my time today. -car radio, twenty one pilots

trigger warning

I knock on mayas apartment door and her dad opens the door, "hey hannah-" he starts before seeing my red face and the tears streaming down it. "May!" he calls, pulling me into a hug. Maya comes out of her room and sees my crying before running to me and pulling me into her room.

"what happened?!" she touches my black eye as I try to calm down, which I can't do. she looks at me for a few seconds before reaching for her phone and calling mikey. when she hangs up the phone she looks back at me for a few seconds before pulling me into a hug and I continue to sob into her shoulder.

she pulls away from me and I've stopped crying a bit. "Hannah what's wrong?" she takes my hands into hers. I shakily breath for a few seconds before sighing, "I can't say."

"well, you can't just come in here crying, with bruises all over you, and a black eye, and expect me not to ask what happened." she crosses her arms like a strict parent, one I wish I had.

mikey opens mayas door unexpectedly, causing us both to jump. "what happened?" he slams the door behind him, I shut my eyes, remembering all the starts of beatings with doors being slammed.

Maya shrugs, "ask hannah, maybe she'll tell you." mikey looks at me, "Hannah what happened to your face?" I take another deep breath, "I don't know how I'm supposed to tell you." Maya and mikey share a glance before turning back to me.

"do your best." Maya states, every word out of her mouth makes me feel judged.

I try to start talking but the only thing that comes out are stutters and rambles and me falling over my words. "Hannah, who hurt you?" mikey looks at me with that wonderful glance, the one that keeps me going, the one that makes me feel things I've never felt before.

I open my mouth and the words fall out, "my dad." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. mikey and Maya look at each other before engulfing me into A hug. "I'm so sorry." I say, trying not to cry again. mikey and Maya both pull away from the hug, " what the hell are you sorry for? has that asshole made you feel like YOU need to apologize?" Maya should be president. I shake my head.

they ask me more questions as everything clicks for them, they apologize for not knowing sooner, but how could they? eventually we stop talking. mikey looks at me, then at Maya, "what are we gonna do?" my face goes red, "you guys aren't gonna do anything. you're gonna live your life just as before, I'm gonna deal with this. six more years til I can move out!" I try to laugh with my last sentence but my voice breaks instead and I look down.

I notice the time on my watch, 9:13 PM. shit. I need to get home. "I'll see you tomorrow at school." I head for the door but mikey stops me, "you're not going home. he's gonna kill you!" his voice booming on the word kill.

"mikey, I'll be fine. I've handled worse." I step out and thank mayas father, the one I wish I had.

I take my time walking through the city. taking in everything as if life was ending tomorrow, cause for me, it might.

I pass the music store yet again, where the green haired man, josh was it? ceases to be. instead, a tall scrawny man with brown hair and brown eyes sits there, a rubber band around his wrist.

I open the door and he looks up at me, "what are you doing out so late?" I'm taken aback by his reaction to me, I could be a grown woman and just be short, how would he know?