Chapter 44

I still surprised myself at how easily I had fallen in to Cody Lachlan's world. One day I was just a chef, then I decided to look for something new and applied for a job as a personal chef then the Lachlan family fell in to my life and then Cody and now I was relaxed around him to feel as though I knew him for years. Although when I traced his face with my fingertips on the nights we fell asleep together I loved finding new little bumps and dents that he'd tell me stories about. I knew our relationship was new still but I loved exploring and finding out new things about him and knowing that together we had more memories to make. I know relationships don't always last forever, I love a good romance story but even I knew they weren't always true. I knew that being with Cody Lachlan meant I had to treasure the time I had with him cause he did make happy.

As I tried to wiggle out of bed that morning Cody's grip on me tightened pulling me back in to his chest. His warmth breath tickling on the back of my shoulder. I leant in to him for a few minutes, giving in to the temptation, before I knew that I really had to get up. Cody stirred again as I slipped one leg out of the covers, lifting his arm up gently as I tried to sneak out.
"Stay, I don't want breakfast," his morning voice croaked, god it was sexy. His eyes were still firmly shut, his hair hanging over the pillow and his arm reaching out to grab me. I grabbed my things before leaning across to kiss him on the cheek.
"I'll see you in two hours for breakfast," I whispered sensing his breathing had taken him back to the land of sleep. I smiled to myself as I swept his hair out of his face and then left to start another day.

"I smell chocolate," Cody chuckled putting his head round the door. He came over to me wrapping his arm around my waist as I stirred the pot.
"Try this," I asked holding up a spoon to his lips. "Enough heat?" He wrapped his lips around the spoon tasting the Chili before tapping a finger to his chin and thinking dramatically.
"No it's great. Now where's the chocolate I need to taste test?" He asked grinning like a child. I rolled my eyes and pointed to trays of cupcakes. He kissed my cheek before sitting himself down at the counter and unwrapping one.
"It was really good of you to help Peggy out like this," he said before taking a large bite of the cake.
"I'm just glad your parents were okay with me doing something on the side," I admitted to him. Peggy had asked me to help with the catering for her bonfire night party tonight. She had a chef at home but they weren't a big fan of preparing for a lot of people and the catering team she'd hired had cancelled last minute so between me and her chef we managed to make up the catering enough. It wasn't going to be too big of an event luckily.
"This is real good," Cody said taking another bite of the cupcake and finishing it. So far I'd make a big pan of chilli, s'mores cupcakes, stuffed potato skins and mini apple crumble tarts. I still had a few other things to get made but I was starting to run out of time. As I busied myself around the kitchen Cody sat there thoughtfully playing with the wrapper.
"You should teach me one day," he eventually said. I stopped rolling out my biscuit dough to look at him, raising an eyebrow.
"To cook, I know you taught my sister." I looked at him confused.
"You cooked for us that day on the boat?" I said to him.
"I know how to cook like three recipes and that was one of them," he laughed. "And I don't know how to bake either. My grandmother wasn't really one to bake. And my mother can burn anything."
"Then of course I'll teach you how to bake," I smiled leaning across the counter to place a small kiss against his lips. His hands reached out for me wanting more but I still had too much work to do.
"Later," I said leaning back and winking at him. He pouted making me chuckle as I went back to my dough.
"I'm hitting the gym, I'll be back shortly," he said after a while of watching me cut out the shapes. I nodded concentrating hard on not messing anything up. I paused as I felt a hand rest on my hip. His lips attached themselves to the small gap on my jacket revealing my neck. I let out a small sigh as he kissed gently along. I let myself melt in to his touch for a moment. I only had a moment. His thumb rubbing circles over my jacket that made the skin there tingle. I rested my head back against his chest letting him have better access suppressing a whimper when he kissed in the right spots. I spun around to face him wrapping my fingers in his messy hair, pulling his lips to mine as my back rested against the counter. His hand rested against my cheek as he deepened the kiss before quickly pulling back and resting his forehead against mine.
"Later," he whispered a smirk growing on his face. I shoved him lightly on the shoulder as he chuckled and winked before turning on heading out the door.
"Jerk," I muttered to myself.
"Love you pop," he called from out in the hallway. I rolled my eyes and got back to the million jobs I still had left to do for today.

"Thank you for helping," I said leaning up to kiss Cody on the cheek as he went to get the last tray from the boot.
"My pleasure," he smiled grabbing the plate of brownies. With Cody's help the back of my car had quickly been emptied of the food I'd made for Peggy's party and once it had been set up inside we could relax and enjoy the party.
"Plus I'm only helping cause I know there's a bowl of trimmings in the fridge at home with my name on them," he said with a wink as we navigated our way through Peggy's home. It was modern with large open spaces and windows compared to the Lachlan's which was more wood based. Peggy's chef was freaking out about the amount of guests that were coming, my last party for the Lachlan's had been double but I'd had help and catering. Cody encouraged her by trying some of the food and letting her know it was good. By the time the guests were arriving the buffet was completely ready and with Peggy's help it was decorated beautifully and already to be demolished by her friends.
"Fireworks day is nice but nothing beats watching the Fourth of July fireworks," Peggy said with a sigh as she fixed a drink. Cody had already disappeared off to talk to someone.
"Do you miss it?" I asked as she passed one to me.
"Sometimes. I wasn't very old when I left, but I did leave everything but without leaving I wouldn't of met my husband and everything happens for a reason sweetie," she said thoughtfully. I nodded in agreement, without leaving my job and coming to the Lachlan's I wouldn't have met Cody.
"I do miss some things. America was my home but England is beautiful in its own way. It just rains a lot more here," she laughed. "If you'll excuse me," she said as she waved at someone in the growing crowd. Checking over the buffet table one last time I decided to head outside and get some air before starting to socialise. Now winter was almost here the sun was setting earlier. We'd arrived mid afternoon to help set up and now it was dark. I knew I would need my coat when the fireworks started as the wind whipped around my skin. I was only wearing jeans and a plain grey long sleeve t shirt but I'd made sure I'd brought plenty of layers with me. Bonfire night technically wasn't for another two days but in the distance I could hear the distinct crack, bangs and pops.

Cody pulled the blanket further around our shoulders and pulling me closer in to him. I let out a little gasp as another flashing light filled the stars.
"You're cute," Cody whispered in my ear at my reaction. I hid my face against his vibrating chest before quickly pulling away as I heard another firework firing in to the air. This one released bright red and green sparkles into the black sky followed by another burst of gold. The bright colours illuminated the sky making me forget about everything else. My mind was lost within the colours and the noises hoping it would never end.
"Woah that was good," Cody said as another rocket wizzed up before releasing bright stars into the sky over and over and over again. Cody was just as much of a child as I was making all the oo and ahh noises as they went up. I looked up at him as his face in the darkness was lit up by another firework bursting in the sky. His eyes looked down to meet mine shooting me a smile before they returned to the sky. I did the same watching as gold sparkles now appeared. The smell of hot chocolate filling the air as the final few rockets lit up the sky in a great big burst of bangs. Another beautiful night.