Chapter 1

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

I jolted awake, breathing heavy, my heart pounding in my chest. It takes me a minute to realize what the beeping sound is. 'Oh, right, school.'

I sit up, turn sideways and hit the snooze button on my alarm. I sit up the rest of the way and stretch, yawning widely. I lean my head back against the headboard, closing my eyes in an attempt to get at least 5 more minutes of sleep.

"MANOLITA!" My mothers voice rings through my room, jolting me awake.

"What?" I ask, groggily.

"Get up sweetheart. Its time for school," she says.

I groan. "Can't i just stay home today?"

"No," she snaps, "you've already missed three days of school this week. You are going today, whether you like it or not," and with that, she turns and stomps out my room and down the hall to the kitchen.

I flinch at the sound of a drawer being slammed. I know i upset her and I'm trying to change, i dont want us to drift apart as soon as i leave for college.

I sigh, and throw the covers back. The cold air sends goose bumps down my spin. I instantly grab the covers and pull them back over me, shivering.

"MOM!"

she appears in the doorway a few seconds later.

"What?"

"Could you pass me my jacket please?" I ask, nodding to it, "it's freezing in here."

She sighs. "I'm sorry honey. I'm trying to get someone here to fix the heater."

She walks over to my pile of cloths and grabs my jacket off the top of the pile. She turns to toss it to me but screams.

"Whats wrong?" I ask, scrambling up to find out what the problem was, regretting it instantly.

"Oh its nothing honey. The cats tail looked like a snake for a minute." She says, placing her hand over her heart.

I sigh. "His tail does look like a snake doesnt it?"

She nods and hands me my jacket. I quickly pull it on, covering my bare arms.

"Now....uh....get ready for school" she says and leaves my room.