Chapter 5

(Luke's POV)

I watch as Manolita gets up and walks out. She doesnt say anything to anyone. Mr. Berns watches her go, but doesnt make an attempt to follow. Anger surges through me. So little ms perfect can get away with walking out of class, but I get a detention.

I get up and follow her, leaving all my things, minus my phone, behind. I break into a run, once out of the room, running after Manolita. She didnt come for a week then expects me to do all the work? I dont think so. I see her long black hair turn and corner at the end of the hall. I speed up and catch up to her. I grab her arm and spin her around. Her eyes are puffy and rimmed with red, and there are tears flowing down her cheeks. Before I can stop myself, I pull her to me, hugging her tightly.

"Whats wrong?"I ask, feeling guilty then confused as to why I felt guilty.

"Nothing," she says, pushing me off of her.

"Hey, I'm just trying to help," I say, perhaps harsher than I should have.

"Why?" She questions, catching  me off guard. "Why do you even care? You were just yelling at me this morning for not being here then suddenly you care. Why?"

"I," I begin unsure of how to answer.

She waits and when I dont say anything more, turns and runs down the hall.

"MANO!"I yell, running after her.

She freezes then whips around and glares at me.

"DON'T call me that. Only my friends and close family is allowed to call me Mano. Since you are neither, dont call me Mano." She growls.

"I'm sorry Mano," I say.

She reaches out and smacks me, shocking us both. She, however, quickly recovers.

"I said dont call me Mano!"

"I'm sorry," I say through clenched teeth. Nobody smacks me and gets away with it.

"I'm sure you are," she says. "But we both know you wont stop calling me Mano so try again."

She then turns and stalks away, straight into the ladies bathroom. I glare after her, then stalk back to class getting looks from everyone