eight

(a/n: dedicated to Happy-being_me for the comments ;)))) enjoy!!!)

eight

I WAS AN ADEQUATE SURFER. I kept my balance for a respectable amount of seconds before I tumbled rather ungracefully back into the water. Because of this rather ungraceful fall I tended to be content just lying flat atop the board, buoying up and down with the waves. I didn't especially like being laughed at, and it had been laughter gracing Josh's face as he'd seen me fall the first time. 

"You try it yourself, champ," I dared him. He did try it himself, and to my great chagrin proved to be a rather quick learner. Out of all of us, though, Maddy was the real champion. When she wasn't busy finding an excuse to touch Josh (which, let's be real, was something she did the entire time we were in the water.) she surfed the waves like a pro. Even I, who tended to harbor a slight dislike towards Maddy, was impressed.

Slight dislike? That's like saying you'd reach the top of Everest with a ladder. Let's get real here, Leo. 

Instead, I settled with running my hand through the water. We'd drifted further out as Maddy had wanted to showcase her own skills, wanting to catch the bigger waves. My reluctancy had been thwarted by my two companions' enthusiasm, thus luring us further out. I had kept an eye on the horizon, though the ominous clouds seemed to moving rather slowly our way. 

You'll be fine. No big deal. 

While I didn't find any enjoyment in the actual surfing, I did find some joy in watching Josh and Maddy's odd mating ritual. At least that was what I had started dubbing their interactions — mating rituals. It was very entertaining to narrate them in my head like David Attenborough did for the Earth documentaries. 

And here we see the female, proudly displaying her aquatic talents in an effort to catch the male's attention. We see here the very primal core of their behavior — as the male is drawn to the mating dance. 

I nearly fell off the board myself, suppressing my laughter. As long as they didn't mate in the water surrounding me and my board, I was fine with my internal narration. 

Besides, even my grouchy self had to admit it was almost ... pleasing to sway with the waves. There was still a trickle of sunlight spearing down from the clouds, shrouding the sea in weak warmth. It glittered across the waves, forming an undulating sea of bright water which stung my eyes if I stared at it for too long. On the beach, people were still sprawled out, enjoying the summer evening. 

For a moment, I could release some of my worries. Zazu would find another target before long, and we'd have some more money for Sylvester House. It still nagged on me, the encounter with Mistress, even though I attempted pushing that to the back of my mind. She had fought fervently for that crate, for whatever was inside. I wanted to know, too. 

Relax. Take a goddamn moment, Leo. 

And I did. I briefly let go of the heavy weight of responsibility, allowing it to sink to the bottom of the sea beneath me. There was an energetic beat of music thrumming across the surface, emanating from Riptide. A string of fairy lights had appeared outside the café, as their evening outdoor seating started getting business. 

There were a handful of other surfers out, though they were frolicking in the water a good distance away. I could only see their heads, briefly appearing between the waves as they paddled toward the waves.