Forty Eight

My hearts beats inside my rib cage, feeling like I can hear it in my ears.

Truthfully, I'm beyond nervous. Meeting Michelle and seeing her face to face feels like the start of a new chapter. I mean, she already wants me to go to college with her.

I guess I'm also more nervous than ever, because in a sense, with her comes Dom. I know that meeting her is only the first part of this weekend, and the next part is awaiting me. It's like he's something forbidden, and I'm on the outside looking in, watching his every move. Him just waiting for me to step in, against my better judgement, and become entangled.

The entanglement is surely coming sooner than I would like, and I know it's coming. I'm just waiting for when.

He's something I know I shouldn't get involved with, but also something that is a one in a million chance that could happen.

"Alaina?" I hear noise from beside me, causing me to jump out of my trance.

"Thank you for- uh, wanting to go on this journey with me." I say to Johnathon, my half brother technically. Same dad, different moms. My dad was with Johnathon's mom before getting with mine, and then went back to his mom. It's a long ass story, and I'm still kinda upset that his parents ended up okay while I'm forced to spend half my weekends at my mom's. Don't you love it.

Johnny boy is three years older than me, but our age difference isn't big enough for everything to be different. It was his idea for the concert, and I didn't even know he wanted to go at all until he showed me the already printed off and paid for tickets.

If anything is going to strengthen our bond, it's going to be a concert. Specifically a YB one. Don't get me wrong, our bond is good now and I feel comfortable telling him almost everything, but he still doesn't know how to feel about the Dom thing.

Actually, he thinks I'm gonna walk up to him and Dom not have a clue about the last month. Like somebody is just playing me. This caused the idea to wrap itself into my other thoughts and bother me the whole ride.

I just hope that nobody wants to spend their time catfishing an 18 year old girl with high hopes and obvious sensitivity problems.

"Yeah, of course. This is gonna be fun. You have met Michelle before right?" He asks me, being the curious and quite overprotective brother that he always seems to be.

I shake my head, lying to him was never my strong suit. "She's not gonna kill us in the middle of the night though."

"I don't think that I was just wondering. I- never mind." He says, moving his hand to slightly turn up the radio. I playfully punch his arm, letting him know that was just happened wasn't awkward and we're still fine.

Rain lightly treads onto the car, and I place my shoulder on the window, leaning my head on my hand.

"It's only gonna sprinkle, watch." Johnathon says, and I look over at him. I chuckle, looking out of the windshield again. The sky is pretty, and the rain came out of nowhere.

A few minutes later, it stops as Johnathon predicted. He smiles at me and moves his arm to rest it on the console.

"Play some jams, Lain." He uses his nickname for me, and I smile, going into my phone. I click on my music app and press the shuffle button.

"Oh shiiiit." He says, responding to The Neighbourhood coming through the speakers. I have told myself to not play Dom until the concert, something with my preference. I have a feeling Michelle is going to be the opposite, and she will want to play him all the time. Then I'm sure she'll come up with some way to convince me to listen with her science or whatever.