Chapter 1: The Red String

Xiao Zhan did not expect this.

The wind gently caressed his flushed cheeks as if to reassure him that everything was fine. But he knew it was not. After all, it was already engraved deep inside his mind. He knew it would eventually happen, he just didn't know it would happen so soon.

Across the street, not too far away from him, is Yibo fondly staring at Yu Bin.

Earlier, before he stopped and felt like this; he saw how Yibo brushed the other's cheek, how he laughed when Yu Bin adorably turned red, and how they both exchanged a look identical to how lovers looked at each other.

Right now, while the two are talking, Xiao Zhan watches them with his eyes shining with sadness, his fingers digging deep into his palms, making his knuckles turn white. His heart hurts so much, his eyes sting so much, his lips are trembling too. damn. much. Seeing them in their own little world and sending each other warm smiles, he hates it.

He loathes it.

He turned his back on them and broke in a run, tears now falling delicately on his cheeks. He needs to get away, far, far away from them. If he stays, he will break. There is nothing more he can do. The inevitable is already happening and since it was fate who already decided it, he cannot complain and just accept all of it.

The only thing he can do right now.

Is protect his heart.

If only...

If only he was Yibo's soulmate...!

Then, then...!

He would be the one standing there!

He would be the one receiving his smile, his laughter, his touch, his-

His love.

'Go to hell, Wang Yibo!'

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Twelve years ago

Xiao Zhan quietly watches the children playing on the playground, innocent laughter filling up the place. He darted his eyes to the left and saw children taking turns with the slides, then he turned his eyes to the right and sees children playing hide and seek while some were playing with the swings.

They look happy, playing with each other like that. Xiao Zhan wants to play with them too, but he's too shy to approach them and introduce himself. This is what he dislikes about himself, he's too meek, too shy, too scared.

Not like he can do anything about it, he was just born like this. So instead of embarrassing himself, he decided staying on the side is better, that watching is better than befriending them. Besides, he knows that if he introduces himself to them, he will be too stuttery that they will just say weird names to him and ignore him.

And he doesn't want that.

Fiddling with the hem of his red shirt, he watches them with envy.

Few minutes passed and the other children already noticed his presence. Some tried to approach him earlier but the other kids shook their head at them and told them that it was better to not get associated with him because he's too gloomy. It hurt when he heard those words, especially because they were the truth.

The sun's about to set but he didn't even manage to make a friend. He casted his gaze on the ground, his lips trembling as he sniffles, sad at the fact that he will go home alone today too. Maybe he should bring his toys next time? Will they approach him then? Or should he be the one to approach them? But he's scared! They look like they didn't want to be friends with him.