Chapter 6: Confessions

Hurried footsteps were heard all over the corridor of Beijing High School, the students hurrying to go to the cafeteria to get their food after long hours of studying.

One of the feet shuffling around belong to one Wang Yibo, chasing after a taller teen who he haven't seen and talked to for a while. He walked with long strides, catching up with the other. After a few minutes, he finally managed to catch up to him. "Xiao Laoshi–"

Yibo managed to notice the way Xiao Zhan tensed, and he was afraid the other would ignore him but he was glad that the other turned around and called the name he hadn't heard for a week. "Yibo?" He was kind of disappointed that the other didn't call him by the stupid pet name they call each other but that's not what matters right now.

Wang Yibo offered the other a small smile. He took the place beside the taller teen and spoke. "Hey. What's up?"

Xiao Zhan lowered his head and muttered, not meeting Yibo's gaze. "Umm...nothing much." He didn't smile, and Yibo felt like an asshole when he didn't even do anything wrong. (Or did he?) He scratched the back of his head, "I see. Uhh...we haven't been going to school together so I was wondering what you were up to."

The usually cheerful teen smiled apologetically. He looked tired, and his overall complexion was pallid. "I'm sorry, I had to go to school early because of our club's activities."

Yibo knew he was lying through his teeth and he would have believed him if he didn't heard from his mother what he was up to. He's been lying to not only his mother but also to his bestfriend – and Yibo would be lying like him if he says he was not hurt. He had talked to one of Xiao Zhan's club members and they were confused and told him that there was no such thing and that they are mostly free and have nothing to do.

The slightly smaller teen clenched his hands tightly into a fist, "I see."

They walked side by side with each other, not saying anything after the small exchange and Yibo was usually talkative in the other's presence.

But right now...

How did they talk again...?

Ah...

That's right.

They bickered a lot, they hit each other a lot, and they played and danced with each other a lot. So why? Why can't Yibo say anything? Why won't Xiao Zhan say anything?

"Yibo."

Yibo shook away the weird thoughts and turned his attention back to Xiao Zhan. "Mn?"

The other gave him a smile and his eyes looked so sad, his smile looked so broken, and he looked really tired but nonetheless, it was a smile.

Yibo hated it.

"I'll be eating with Zhuo Cheng. Go and eat with Yu Bin, get to know your soulmate okay?"

He wanted to say something, to ask the other what's wrong. Is he eating well, or can he sleep properly or why does he look so sad but all he managed to do was keep his mouth shut and nod.

Xiao Zhan didn't drop his smile, in fact it turned even sadder that it pierced Yibo's heart. He pinched Yibo's cheek before he went away and pulled Zhuo Cheng who was waiting ahead of them.

Yibo wanted to ask him a lot of questions.

But he didn't manage to say anything.

»»————- ♡ ————-««

"Xiao Zhan is avoiding me."

Yu Bin stopped what he is doing, tilting his head after dropping his pen on the table. His eyes stared at Yibo cluelessly, making Yibo just a tad bit uncomfortable. "Did you say something?"