28

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Natsu Dragneel

A/N: So past me decided to change how I was going to end this book. I don't know if I can fit it all in two chapters, or maybe I'll just have longer ones.

By the way, two major bombs are dropped in this chapter. I'll give you a hint on one: three words, eight letters. And the other? Oh my god, where do I begin...?

"Stupid boots," I whined, stuffing my double-sock clad feet into my heavy snow boots. I awkwardly tipped over and I made a guttural sound of annoyance.

After my feet were successfuly smushed into my boots, my jacket was on, and a lime-green sticky note to my dad was plastered to the refridgerator, I waddled to my car and jumped inside before I caught hypothermia.

As I took the short route to the beach at this lovely hour of 9:42 at night, I turned on the radio and Endlessly by The Cab began to play. I blushed while I listened to the lyrics, instantly being reminded of Gray.

Speaking of said boy, what was he doing, calling me out to the beach at this late hour? Was he crazy? It was, I checked the temperature dial on my car dash, 31 degrees outside! (-0.56 Celcius for you non-Americans.)

The usual ride to the beach was about eight minutes long, but it felt like it took thirty seconds. When I pulled into the parking lot, which was shimmering with bits of sand, I gulped, tightened my coat, and got out nervously.

The beach was deserted, if anyone was wondering. Yep, this is absolutely crazy, I chided in my mind. Gray's going to hear what I have to say about this, just he waits.

I made my way to our typical meeting spot for walking days, a sandy hill not too far from the entrance, but you had to surmount yourself over the hill to see the exact spot. I trudged up the snow-speckled hill and stared over the peak. Under the twinkling moon, Gray was sitting there motionlessly, body facing the waves. I carefully descended the hill and stopped right in front of him.

"Mind explaining to me why you called for me so late?" I raised an eyebrow he coudn't see. When Gray's expression hardened and he turned his head as if he was looking at his bent knees, I crossed my arms impatiently.

"Well, what is it?" I demanded, angrier this time, pursing my lips together.

"I just wanted you here, is that too much to ask?" Gray kissed his teeth irritatingly, clenching his fists tighter. He sounded eerily like the first night I met him, and I cringed.

"Not if its nearly ten at night and I'm about to drop dead from exhaustion," I countered snarkily. When he didn't reply, I sat down. "Fine. I'll sit."

Gray nodded almost ineperceptably. He opened his mouth to say something, then he quickly snapped it shut again.

"It's cold, isn't it?" I commented meekly, trying to lighten up the dreary mood.

No response.

"It's like below freezing. I wonder if it'll snow on Christmas," I rested my chin in my palms, staring at the moon, which was reflecting milky soft hues on the calm, inky waves. Gray exhaled quietly.

After a moment, I finally caught the message. I shut myself up and blushed, reaching over and taking his hand in my own. I squeezed it affirmitively and stared directly at him sincerely. "You can tell me, you know. Whatever's going on."

Gray tilted his head up. "There's something I want to tell you, Natsu," He explained in a strained voice, clearing his throat. I nodded a short nod that I stupidly realized two seconds later he, shocker here, couldn't see. God, I kept forgetting, which didn't really make sense, considering I was painfully reminded every day.