19

Chapter Nineteen

Natsu Dragneel

A/N: :)

I was rather shocked, to say the least. All these years I believed I was the only miserable one because I lost one of my closest friends and girlfriend, but no. Gray had been living in a world of complete darkness. I couldn't even fathom what that would be like.

"I fucking hate rain," I grumbled, glaring at the grey clouds. Of course- it's going to rain again. Just another lovely reminder of the worst night of my life.

Gray smirked and threw me an amused look. "Nice," He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Well, now that all of that is behind us, where does that leave us?" I wondered out loud. Gray shrugged lightly and took my hand. I'd like to say I was getting used to the electric sparks produced by the familiar action, but honestly, I got more jittery every day.

"I don't know," Gray responded. "It's quite a lot to take in. I guess I should start by saying sorry, shouldn't I?" He smiled sadly. "If I hadn't lost Ultear in the supermarket, then I would've passed the highway before you, and we never would've crashed, right?"

My face twisted into a scowl. "Wrong! I was the one who didn't think clearly and demand Lisanna and I should stay home!" I argued, narrowing my eyes. "And not only did she die, you became blind. If it isn't my fault than I don't know whose it is."

Gray stopped walking all of a sudden. "That's the thing," he said quietly. "It isn't anyone's fault. It was simply fate," He explained, tilting my chin up with his finger. I stared in awe, wide-eyed. "The fragments of the past make us who we are today. And today, because of a single boy who talked to me when no one else would, I've never been happier. If not being blind means I never would've been friends with you, than I'd take you in a heartbeat," He admitted.

"B-b-but- you can't talk like that!" I reasoned. "Being able to see is important! I am nowhere near worth your ability to see, so don't ever say that again."

"I'll say it as many times as I need. I don't need eyesight to live. Honestly, my life has been opened up to new possibilities because of my disability. I've heard new things, learned new things, and understood new things."

"For example, you're worth so much more to me than you'd ever believe, pipsqueak. Always remember that," Gray demanded, stroking my cheek with his thumb delicately. He could feel the red-hot heat on them, probably.

"You know what's funny?" I realized, not bothering to wait for Gray's response. "The fact that before, you seemed so cold and broody. You didn't want anyone inside your ice-incased heart. But now, the ice has melted, and I bet this is the way the real you is," I commented happily, squeezing his hand tightly.

"And who do you think caused that?" Gray whispered. "You. It's you, Natsu. It's always been you. We've only known each other for two months, but somehow, you've wormed your way into my life and turned it upside down. You've melted me, like you said. So don't ever, ever blame yourself for this," He pointed to his glasses.

I truly, honestly didn't know what to say at this point. Did Gray truly feel this way? Was this really the same Gray as the one who metaphorically slammed the door on my face on day one? Was it really all me...?

"Natsu?" Gray snapped. "Oh god, I was babbling. Shit. I'll just go," He yanked his hand out of mine and began to take off down the strip of beach, knocking into people left in right. I stood there, watching his body get smaller and smaller, my brain hazy with words I never thought I'd hear him say, before I cleared my mind and took off angrily after him.

It didn't take long, by the way. Gray had made it to the pier, and he was sitting with one leg lazily swinging off the edge and the other one brought up under his chin. Quietly, I took a seat next to him. He tensed when he felt my presence and looked away automatically.

"Don't just run away like that, dumbass," I scoffed. "Don't run away metaphorically, either."

"Who knew you could be so poetic," Gray mumbled, pouting.

"You're one to talk," I grumbled back, biting my lip and cupping my chin under my hands.

"So, what does it look like?" Gray said suddenly, a faint smile playing on his face. I felt a sense of déjà vu pass over me, and I played along.

"What?" I replied, faking confusion.

"The ocean, dumbass," He grinned.

"Oh," I joked. "Really pretty. The water's really clear, and the sunset is shining on it, and it's super peaceful," I laughed meekly, leaning my head on his shoulder softly. Ever so delicately, his arm traced around my back and he wrapped his arm over me, pulling me in close tightly.

I choked back a surprised squeak and blushed. Gray was expressionless and quiet, like he usually was, and I sighed contently. I wish we could stay like this forever, him and me at the edge of the pier, staring off into the endless horizon of sparkling water, not having a single care in the world.

Eventually, we began to walk back to the car and drove home, listening to Seventeen Forever by Metro Station, swaying slightly and processing the day's events.

"By the way," Gray said quietly as we pulled into his driveway. He exited the car and leaned in slightly as if he was telling me a secret. "I haven't told anyone what I've told you today. Remember that." He slammed the passenger door, leaving me dumbfounded and clutching on the leather armrests for dear life.

"Wait just a second!" I yelped after him, jumping out of the car and chasing after him like my life depended on it. "I need to tell you something!"

"What's up?" He said, with no emotion whatsoever. I scowled and clenched my fists. I knew I'd have hell to pay after this, but what the heck. I'm just gonna go for it.

"I like you," I admitted, pulling him down and crashing his lips against mine.