Ch. 9

Marinette scribbled on a piece of paper.

"Almost done?" Tikki asked.

"Almost." Marinette sighed. "Just one more question." She read it, then tapped her chin in thought.

"Aha!" She wrote down the answer. "Done!" She rolled away from her desk and twirled the desk chair.

"Did you hear that?" Tikki asked her. She stopped spinning.

"Hear what?"

"There it is again. Shh. Listen." Tikki whispered. Marinette strained her ears, and she heard a gentle tapping coming from her window. Tikki met her eyes, and Marinette shrugged. She stood and walked over to the window as Tikki hid. She peeked through the curtain, finding Cat Noir crouched on her roof. She opened the window.

"What are you doing here, Kitty?"

"I just came to see how my princess is doing." He flashed a smile. "Is that such a crime?"

She stepped away, and Cat Noir crawled through the window.

"I suppose not." She said. They stood there awkwardly. "So, what'd you want?"

"I was wondering if you'd like to eat dinner with me. I hear there's supposed to be a beautiful sunset tonight."

"And who told you that?" Marinette teased.

"A little birdie." He winked. "So, do you wanna come?"

Marinette hesitated. I do want to go, but what'll Mom and Dad think? Is it a date, or just a nice dinner shared between friends? Should I ask him? No, that'll just make things weird.

"Where'd we be going exactly?" I really hope it's not a public restaurant. So many people would stare.

"I was thinking the Eiffel Tower would be nice. Unless you want to go someplace else?"

"No, that's fine."

"So it's a yes then?"

"Um... Let me ask my parents. Wait here." She went downstairs to the living room and found them sitting on the couch.

"Hey, sweetie." Her mom said as she walked over.

"Hey. Um, is it okay if I go out to dinner with a friend?"

"Sure. Who is it?" Sabine asked.

"Um..."

Tom smiled knowingly. "Mystery boyfriend?"

"Dad!"

Her parents laughed.

"You can go, Marinette. Just be back by eight thirty." Sabine said.

Marinette grinned. "Thanks guys! I love you!" She started to go upstairs but her dad stopped her.

"Where are you going?"

She froze. "I... need to get my purse."

"Oh, okay." Sabine said. "Have fun, Marinette, and be careful!"

"I will." She ran upstairs and found Cat Noir sitting on her sofa. He stood when he saw her.

"Well?"

"I can go, but I have to be back by eight thirty."

He smiled. "Let's go then." He made his way to the window as Marinette grabbed her purse.

"I gotta go the normal way. I'll meet you in the side alley by the bakery?"

He nodded and jumped out the window. Marinette closed it before running downstairs. She exited the bakery and walked to their hasty meeting place. Cat Noir was waiting for her.