Chapter 8

Hallie POV

Silence. Ethan just stood there looking at me. But his eyes weren’t actually on me. He was looking through me. His mind was somewhere else. I didn’t know what to do or say, so I just waited. The tension was thick in the air. The only sound I could hear was my heartbeats. I wanted Ethan to say something, but at the same time maybe it was a good thing that he didn’t say anything.

A few minutes past. The silence was killing me. I was about to say something when Dr. Muller came to us. “ Hallie, do you have the money?”

I gulped. “Doctor, can you please just do the operation for Rachel? I promise I’ll get the money tomorrow. Please..” I knew I looked pathetic. Begging to the doctor while holding his hand with my both hands. I was desperate. Dr. Muller gave me a sad smile. He was in his late forties. He reminded me of my father when he smiled. He helped us with Rachel before. But now, he couldn’t do anything. It was a big operation that needed a big money as well.

“I’m sorry Hallie, I can’t help you now. You have to pay at least half of it before we do the operation.” I knew that. He told me a couple of times. But it still hurt hearing it again.

“Just do the operation, Doctor. I’ll take care of everything.” I’ve forgotten that Ethan was here. He stood next to me facing the doctor. Dr. Muller looked surprise.

“Mr. Wilde, how are you?” So they knew each other.

“I’m fine, doc. Thank you. So yeah, please do the operation.”

“Of course, sir. Right away.” Then he turned to me. “You should mention that you know Mr. Wilde, Hallie. That would help for sure.” He gave me another smile and walked off to the operation room.

What should I say to Ethan then? I took a deep breath and looked at him. “Ethan, I.. umm..thank you. I’ll pay you back, I promise.” He just raised an eyebrow. I swallowed again.

“Why don’t you explain to me everything instead of worrying about paying me back?”

It might seem a suggestion, but I didn’t fail to hear a demand in that sentence. I sighed. Ethan deserved to know everything.

“Okay, let’s find a place to talk.” I walked to James and told him that I would be with Ethan.

We found a bench in the garden just outside the waiting room. We sat there in silence for a few minutes. I knew he was waiting for me to speak. I took a deep breath and started talking.

“So it all started four years ago when I was 16. My parents and I lived in the city. We didn’t live in a pack, my father didn’t like it. But we still had to report to the nearby pack regularly. So I grew up just like normal human. I was an only child and often felt lonely. I kept begging my parents to give me a brother or sister, but they told me that my mother had a problem that she couldn’t possibly have another child..” I paused and looked at Ethan. He didn’t say anything, just looking at me and urging me with his eyes to continue.

“That night, it was raining with thunderstorms. We were just watching movie when we heard the doorbell. There, stood in front of us was a boy carrying a crying baby girl. They were both soaking wet. The boy asked if we could give him some milk for his sister. My mother let them in and I helped to dry them. He looked exhausted and then told us that he’d been walking for a whole day carrying his sister without any meal. He was only twelve year old, and the baby girl had just turned one. He didn’t tell us anything. He tried to leave actually. But after some persuading, he told us that he just ran away from the foster parents they lived with. He then showed us some bruises on his back and arms. His foster parents were some alcoholic people who were just in need of the money. He ran away because they started beating the baby girl too..” It still saddened me remembering that night. I couldn’t understand how people could beat children.

“My parents didn’t want to let them go. They wanted to adopt them. So the next few days he did everything he could to adopt them both. James and Rachel. I was happy and didn’t think about the risk we were taking.”

“It’s forbidden” Ethan said. I smiled sadly.

“We knew that. And before we adopted them, my parents told James about what we are. We told him everything because we didn’t want to deceive him of anything. He chose to stay with us. He was a good kid. We were fine for a few years. We were a family. I never thought them as adopted kids. They are my family.”

“A little over a year ago, my father’s friend from the pack came to visit us. He saw James and Rachel. He then reported to the werewolves council. The council then learned that James knew about werewolves. They came to take James and Rachel away. But my parents wouldn’t let them. They fought the council. Everything was a blur. I wasn’t a fighter. I didn’t know how to fight well. But I tried to help too. When I heard the police sirens, that was when everything became clear. I saw my parents lying dead on the floor. I saw the council members ran away to the woods. Then I fainted.”

“A week after, I woke up and was informed that my parents died of a robbery. They were asking if we have a relative to live with. So I lied that I had a relative a few towns over. I didn’t have time to mourn for my parents death. I ran away with James and Rachel. The council is still after us. That’s why we live in human area. I haven’t shifted since then. I think that explains why I didn’t have werewolf scent. And the council is the reason why I can’t have a mate. I have to protect my brother and my sister. I won’t make my parents sacrificed their lives for nothing. I’ll do everything to protect my brother and sister.”

Ethan wiped my tears. I didn’t realize I was crying. Talking about my parents brought back the sad memory.

“Shh.. I’m here. And I’ll help you. You should’ve told me earlier so I would understand your position, Hallie.” He pulled me to his side and hugged me while I sobbed.

“I’m really sorry, Ethan. You deserve so much better than me. I’m sorry I can’t be your mate.”

“Of course you can”, he said like it was obvious.

“What?”

“There’s no a better hiding place than the danger zone itself”

“I don’t understand”

“After Rachel finished her surgery and if it’s possible to move her, we’ll bring her to the pack house. You have to come to live with me.” He smiled.

“But I’ll put your packs in danger. The council will find us, Ethan.”

“Hallie, sweetheart, you think too much. I have two packs to defend us, remember? And you’re their Luna. They’ll do anything to protect you and your family.”

I cried again. I didn’t deserve him. He was too good to be true.

“I don’t deserve you. You’re too good for me. I’m not worth it.”

“You’re worth everything. We deserve each other, Hallie. That’s why we’re mates.” He stared at me with smile playing on his lips. His lips. I kept staring at it. His lips got closer and closer. And we both sighed in relief when finally our lips met. It was a warm kiss. It wasn’t sensual but still earth shattering. In that moment, I knew I wouldn’t be able to let go of him. He was my life. I was falling for him. No, I am in love with him.