Prologue: Escape From Salvus City

JACK

In the universe consisting of galaxies of billions of different things, species of humans reside on Earth given that they decease after completing their life. It isn't always sunshine and rainbows and on the contrary it isn't always darkness and destruction. And it's unknown if it stretches further than the limits we create. It's unknown, what lies past the sunshine or what stays hidden in the darkness. It's unknown if there is a sun that rises from the west or sets in the north. The world is far beyond the reach of humans and there is a lot to be learned to know everything.

*'*'*

It had been a long time since our dad left us. The fight that took place was a wreck we couldn't see. We were kids, my sisters and I. We didn't know anything and by the time we were old enough to inquire, it had been forgotten. It was after a long while before my mother remembered but with that when the tragedy struck once again, she knew what was going to happen. However if she hadn't, nothing would've changed. That was the price of knowing.

"Pack your bags, Jack. I won't ask again!" My mother said sternly after shutting down my argument. She wouldn't even listen to the plans I had to get back the lost. Mom made sure that whatever that had happened could be talked about later, when we're driving or staying in another place or country. She just didn't want to talk about it right now.

"Mom, Rena—" I tried once again but it fell on deaf ears. "Your bags, Jack!" She yelled turning and walked away to Addison's room. She was adamant on leaving as soon as possible. I had only stepped foot back in the house when she scrambled around to gather the things she had wanted. She didn't even explain why we were leaving she just ordered to pack up our stuff so we could sit in the car and drive to her friend's house.

When I finally complied with her wish and went in to my room, I found the book on the foot of the bed, opened to a new page where ink started to smear.

Leave the city to never come back, for the behind is often scarier than the front. If you stay, you face the horrors of the coming days when no sense is left, no conscience to warn. Beware, descendant of Orion. The star shines above the battlefront.

I took a shaky breath and realized why my mother wanted us to leave as soon as possible. I knew now what would happen if we were to stay. The book had clearly given me what I needed to know to take action. It wasn't supposed to be this way but now that it had, I had to act upon it just so I wasn't making the mistakes of the past once again.

The moment I started to assemble my things, mom came into my room and helped me zip them in the bag quickly. "Mom, what about the book?" I asked after cornering her in the room. She simply said to bring it along as we would give it to her friend. I didn't yet know what she was thinking and the guilt kept churning. She was loathing me. How could she not? After the consequences of my actions, it was a miracle she was civil but I didn't want that.

I wanted her to shout, I wanted her to scream. I wanted her to do a lot worse than what was happening but not this. She wanted us to leave while I wanted to talk. I wasn't ready to leave before talking but I didn't have any choice.

I had asked her before doing what I did but she hadn't expected me to fall prey to it. She expected me to be sensible but I had let her down. I had been stupid enough to believe everything that book told me and asked of me. I was in too deep before realizing what had happened.

My sister stayed the same. She kept lying on the bed in the same state and there was nothing more that I could do. I wanted to use the book once again but I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to ask from it once again. It had done all the damage it could and I didn't want to cause more destruction than I already had.