five

HAZEL

Several months had elapsed since the lavish spectacle of the Cotillion, an event that marked a significant shift in our lives. Uma, our formidable adversary, had vanished from our sight since her dramatic disappearance after her fight with Mal. She had leapt off the boat that fateful night and grew in size, but Mal did as well, in her dragon form.

Uma's prolonged absence was a source of unease. It was impossible to shake off the nagging feeling that she was somewhere in the shadows, devising a nefarious plot against Auradon.

One day, I found myself standing outside the grand, towering school of Auradon Prep, teeming with anticipation. I was there to bid farewell to King Ben and the Villain Kids, more affectionately known as the VKs. They were about to embark on a significant mission, a journey to the Isle of the Lost to welcome the next four newcomers to their newly found sanctuary that was Auradon.

As they made their way toward the imposing statue of Auradon's former king, the school's band commenced their performance. The melodious strains of their music echoed across the expansive school grounds. Amid the bustling crowd, Mal stood out, looking absolutely breathtaking in her purple dress adorned with dragon-inspired designs. I found myself standing next to Evie, her vibrant blue hair a stark contrast against the sea of faces. We shared a playful wink as Ben took center stage and serenaded Mal with his heartfelt words.

Together, Fairy Godmother, Evie, Ben, and I had painstakingly prepared a special token of his affection, a tangible symbol of his love, which Ben planned to present to Mal. It was a moment that was brimming with intense emotions. What happened next was a scene straight out of a fairy tale. His voice, filled with hope and love, echoed through the air as he proposed to Mal. "Will you marry me?"

The crowd was taken aback when Audrey, Ben's ex-girlfriend, voiced her protest. However, her dissent was quickly drowned out by Mal's resounding "yes." The crowd erupted in cheers for the newly engaged couple, all except for Audrey, who wore a look of disbelief and disappointment plastered on her face.

After the excitement of the proposal had somewhat subsided, I accompanied my friends to the ornate purple limo that was waiting for us. As we were about to part ways, Mal turned to me, her eyes sparkling with gratitude as she enveloped me in a warm hug.

"Because of your bravery and the pricelessness of the help you've given us, Ben and I want you to join us on our mission to pick up the kids," she said. Ben wiggled his clean eyebrows at me with a heroic smile.

In a state of disbelief, I stuttered, "Wow. Mal, Ben, I couldn't..."

"You can, and you will," Ben smiled, his confidence infectious. Without a moment of hesitation, I followed them into the limo.

As we journeyed to the Isle, a sense of warmth and anticipation spread through me at the thought of being near Harry Hook, my heart fluttering at our potential reunion.

I looked towards Ben and kicked his foot lightly. He looked to me with curiosity in his expression.

"Everything you've worked so hard for is coming true, how do you feel?" All eyes were on Ben.

A smile crept onto his face as he replied, "Hazel, it's not just my dream. It's our dream. We've both wanted this, haven't we?" His words were calm and steady, filled with conviction.

"I am proud," he continued, "proud of you and me. We took a risk, faced our fears, and opened our kingdom's gates to those who were shunned by the rest of the world." His gaze was intense, filled with a sense of accomplishment. "We've given them a chance to prove that they are not defined by their parents' past, but by their own actions and decisions."