six

HAZEL

Our group decided to embark on a daring expedition to recover Hades' ember to help save Auradon from the hands of Audrey. I resolved within myself to remain behind with the children. Left in the tranquil tranquility of our home were just the twins, Dizzy, Doug, and myself. To fend off the creeping dread, hunger and to keep my mind preoccupied, I made a declaration to the group that I would venture out to collect a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden adjacent to my charming, rustic cottage.

My mind began to wander back to the moments when Harry would express his profound admiration for apples and strawberries at the border, triggering a wave of nostalgia that washed over me. I found myself carefully picking the most ripe and succulent fruits from my abundant apple tree, guided by these memories. Despite the evident signs that my berry bushes were in dire need of some tender love and care, they were still generously offering some of the sweetest berries I had ever tasted.

As I was leisurely making my way back to our humble dwelling known as Evie's 4 Hearts, an unexpected and startling puff of pink smoke materialized abruptly in front of me. From within the smoke, Audrey materialized, her signature smirk, as sly as a fox, playing on her lips.

"Hazel," Audrey greeted with a smirk that was as wide as the grin of a Cheshire cat.

"Audrey," I responded, my tone as neutral and stoic as I could muster.

"Are you running errands for Mal?" she asked, the smirk never leaving her face, transforming her into the picture of arrogance.

In a quick response, I retorted, "Well, she is the future queen. I don't see why I wouldn't if she asked," watching with a sense of satisfaction as her smirk transformed into a deep frown.

"Are you jealous too?" Audrey inquired, her eyes dancing with mischief. "Not about being queen, but because no matter how much you help Ben and Mal, you'll always be in the background. No more bestie Benny."

"I don't crave attention to the point of insanity, like some people," I replied, watching as my words hit their mark. Audrey's face turned a shade darker, and she looked as if she was about to combust with anger. "So, are you going to spell me too? Turn me into an old lady?"

"No," she said, her voice oozing with false innocence. "At least not yet."

A chilling laugh escaped her lips as she disappeared into the ether, leaving me alone in an eerily quiet, empty kingdom due to the sleeping spell.

"The sleeping spell, dammit," I gasped, the realization hitting me with the force of a speeding train. I dropped the food basket in shock and began racing back to Evie's. I tried to summon my wings and fly, but to my horror, I couldn't. Audrey had stripped me of my wings. What a witch.

Upon reaching home, my heart sank as I discovered the kids, fast asleep. A nauseating feeling churned in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't protect them. I didn't protect them.

"The fire used to burn, all the words used to hurt," I began to sing softly, like I was singing them a lullaby, taking a seat between the twins and Dizzy, in an attempt to soothe my troubled mind.

After a few minutes of tense silence, I made up my mind to join the others at the end of the bridge. By the time I arrived, I was panting heavily, my body feeling as though it was spinning out of control. Everyone was already back at the entrance of The Isle.

"Hazel?" Carlos called, his voice filled with concern. He and Jay caught me just in time before I could stumble. "Why are you out of breath?"

"Audrey spelled me. She took my wings, I ran the whole way here," I gasped out, my chest heaving with the effort of drawing in air. "I didn't realize I was so out of shape."

"You look sick," Jay stated, his eyebrows furrowing in concern.

"I'm fine," I snapped, instantly regretting my harsh tone. I quickly apologized before noticing Uma, Harry, and Gill. "What are they doing here?"

"Calm down, love, we're here to help," Harry smirked, causing me to catch my breath.

"Did you get the ember?" I asked Mal, my voice filled with strength my body was losing.

"I have it," Uma stated, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. Hazel looked between Mal and Uma, Mal nodded with regret.

We made our way towards the old building that was now being used as a school. Audrey seemed to have used a spell to make sure there was no cell signal in the area.

The newcomers surveyed the scene and the sleeping people, their eyes wide with shock. All except Harry. He tried to steal from a sleeper, but I stopped him.

"We don't steal in Auradon," I said, returning the money to its rightful owner. Harry snatched his arm away and ran his hook through my hair. I leaned away, making him frown at me.

"Guys," Evie announced, her voice breaking the tense silence, "Hannah turned to stone."

This sparked conversation on where to start looking for Audrey. An argument between Mal and Uma arose, causing my head to hurt. Thankfully Evie interrupted.

"To the castle," Mal directed, her voice filled with authority and leaving no room for argument.

Inside the castle, we called out for Ben and found scratch marks on a wall. Suddenly, I started coughing and wheezing uncontrollably and struggled to breathe.

"Hazel?" Evie squeaked, her voice filled with worry.

"I'm okay. Just swallowed some dust," I reassured her with a gentle smile, trying to mask my discomfort.

In a room filled with knights' armor, one suit began to move. Audrey's voice echoed from it, her words sending chills down my spine.

"You like a prince, Mal? How about a knight in shining armor? Or knights?"

Everyone began to grab swords to defend themselves against the spelled knights. It was quite fun until I collapsed onto the ground, gasping for air.

"She didn't just take my wings," I made the realization as I kept getting worse. "She's draining my powers. I can't live without them," I confessed, my voice almost silent.

"Uma give me the ember," Mal demanded, holding out her hand.

"Excuse me?"

"Are you that mad at me that you'll someone die in front of you out of spite?" Mal pleaded with Uma to let her see the ember. After a moment of hesitation, Uma handed it over, staring at me. I could see she didn't want me dead.

The ember emitted a soft blue light, and I felt a surge of strength coursing through my veins. But then Mal broke the news.

"It didn't remove the curse, Zel. It only slowed it down. I'm sorry."

Despite everyone's concern, I remained optimistic. "I'm sure we'll figure something out."

As we left the building, Harry pulled me aside.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

I didn't want to lie. "I'll make it to the end," I reassured him, determination lacing my voice.