chapter 9

Okay, Tom told himself as he headed over to Jocelyn, who, as always, was looking for another CD. Rachel suggested asking Jos to dance, and Amber suggested that I do it now. Hopefully it'll work…

"Hey, Jos!" he said cheerfully as he approached the table.

Jocelyn looked up at him in surprise. "Hey!" she grinned happily as she put a new CD into the radio and hit play.

"Up for a dance?" he asked, putting his hands on the table.

"No, not really at the moment," Jocelyn said, looking at the crowded dance area. "Too many people."

"Oh it's been getting so hard livin' with the things you do to me…Aha…Oh my dreams are getting so strange, I'd like to tell you, everything I see…""Oh my fucking God!" Amber cried out from her table. Both Jocelyn and Tom looked over at her and saw both she and Rachel had big grins on their faces. "Where'd you download the song from?" Amber exclaimed, looking at Jocelyn. "I can't find this damn song anywhere!"

"Look on Limewire," Jocelyn said, shrugging. "Look up "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet."

"Come on!" Rachel said happily, grabbing hold of Amber. "Let's go!"

Amber didn't need to be told twice. No more than a second later, she followed Rachel towards the dance floor. Rachel, however, ran back and grabbed both Amanda and Nicole's hands, both of whom had been sitting rather quietly the whole time.

Jocelyn stifled a laugh, as did Tom. They both knew that neither Amanda nor Nicole really enjoyed the social scene, let alone dancing with a large group of people.

"Oh, I see a man at the back as a matter of fact his eyes are red as the sun…And a girl in the corner let no one ignore her 'cause she thinks she's the passionate one, oh…yeah…""Come on, Jos," Tom insisted, holding out his hand. "Dance with me." Goddamn, she's a stubborn one! he thought irritably.

"Nah, not now," Jocelyn said. "You go enjoy yourself." She nodded towards the crowd of people. "I'll join you later."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and the man at the back said "Everyone attack" and it turned into a ballroom blitz, and the girl in the corner said "Boy I wanna warn ya it'll turn into a ballroom blitz," ballroom blitz…Ballroom blitz…"

Tom looked at her skeptically. "Promise me a dance then?" he asked as he began stepping away backwards. That'll get her hopeless romantic-ness going, he thought to himself triumphantly.

"Save me one," she said, smirking at him flirtatiously.

He nodded, a grin on his face still, and turn and ran towards the dancing crowd, instantly grabbing the hand of Karina and dancing with her.

This is gonna be easier than I thought, he thought happily to himself as he danced with the oh so beautiful Karina.

--

She's alone now, Mike thought to himself as he looked at Jocelyn. Again. He walked up to her casually as soon as he was sure that Tom was distracted by Karina.

"Hey," he said as he approached her.

She looked up at him, a surprised look on her face. "Hi," she said coolly, looking back down at the CDs.

"Oh…yeah…It was like lightning…Everybody was frightening…And the music was soothing…And they all started grooving…"

"What's up?" he asked timidly.

"The sky," she answered coldly, not looking up.

Mike let out an annoyed sigh. God, this is gonna be harder than I thought if she's gonna be like that. He then mentally kicked himself. Come on, this is Jocelyn. When has it ever been easy to talk to her when she's pissed at me?