chapter 7

"You gonna finally talk to her?" Rachel asked Mike as she sat down next to him, Danny, Ben, Mark, and Felix.

"Ask her what?" Mike asked, sipping his soda.

"You know what," she said, slapping his arm.

"Ow!" he said in mock pain. "What's with the violence?"

"You know what I'm talking about," she said, a knowing look in her small dark eyes.

"No I don't," Mike insisted.

"Yes you do…" Felix drawled, a sneer on his face.

"We all know," Ben said. "So why don't you go and talk to her?"

Mike shook his head. "She brought her boyfriend with her. What exactly do you suggest I do?"

"That's not her boyfriend," Mark growled.

"Why?" Mike asked. "'Cause you say he isn't?"

"No," Rachel said, cutting Mark off before he could answer. "Because she likes him, but she's still getting to know him. And I've already told her all about him," she said, grinning slyly. "If she takes my words to heart, she won't get with him."

"Come on, Mike," Danny said, chewing on a piece of chicken. "If you go to her and try to talk things out, I'll go and talk to Jenna."

"Ha, and what good will that do?" Mike joked. "You two are already friends and everything."

"So?" Danny asked. "We're not…" He stopped.

They all looked at him expectantly, but he didn't say anything else. Somewhere from Jocelyn's table, a song blasted from the radio.

"This ain't nothing but a summer jam, brown skin and cinnamon tans, whoa…This ain't nothing but a summer jam, we're gonna party as much as we can…Hey-yeah, ooh…Hey-yeah…Summer jam alright, hey-yeah, ooh…hey-yeah…"

"Well," Ben said, breaking the awkward silence. "You two haven't talked in three years!"

"Not true!" Mike said. "Technically we have."

"Oh really?" Felix asked skeptically.

"Yeah," Mike nodded. "Except…everytime we talk it's 'cause she's pissed off at me for something."

Rachel rolled her eyes. Mark's face lit up. "Did she yell at you?" he asked eagerly.

"Kind of," Mike said. "We were talking online…Wait, why do you care?"

"No reason," Mark said smugly.

"Uh huh…" Mike said, unconvinced.

"Tonight…Hotties wearing Prada skirts real tight…Temperature is rising feelin' real hot…In the heat of the night…Midnight…the party won't stop until the morning light…I'm scopin' out the hotties with the light eyes…Be with me tonight…"

"Talk to her!" Rachel insisted.

"Well, I would have soon," Mike said, glaring at her, "if someone didn't always give me the wrong dates for the reunions!"

"What?" Rachel asked innocently. "She didn't wanna talk to you, you didn't seem to want to talk to her…It didn't seem like a big deal!"

"It was a big deal to me!" Mike said angrily.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know!" Rachel retorted. "I'm sorry, alright?" She glared at him, then got up and sulked off.

"I'll be right back," Felix said quietly, then got up and followed her.