chapter 12

"Jocelyn?"

Jocelyn quickly wiped her eyes and turned around to see Tom approaching her. "Hey," she said, quickly throwing on a fake smile.

"What's wrong?" he asked, a curious look on his face as he drew nearer.

"Boys, grab your guns, it's all in good fun, we're making 'em run, making 'em run…"

"Nothing," she lied. " What's up?"

"Not much," he said. "I saw you and Mike arguing and decided to come and see what was wrong."

Jocelyn gave a small laugh. "You saw that, huh?"

"Yep."

"I see."

"Wanna tell your human diary about it?"

"It's nothing, really."

"That's what I'm here for, though."

"Your name is devastation, you filled us with frustration, you could have fooled anyone, we handed up the lucky ones…"

Jocelyn looked at him with her curious eyes. "It's just…" she said slowly, taking a deep breath. "It's just that…everytime we talk, we argue, and it hurts me inside, knowing that the only reason we're arguing is 'cause I want some kind of…of closure for what we used to have, and he won't give me it!"

Tom smirked.

"Shut up," Jocelyn said, knowing that Tom's typical guy/dirty mind was at work after her last sentence. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do," Tom said, a soft look coming to his face. "Wanna talk about it?"

"And so you stood us up, and you let us down, now you're backing off, so we're running away…I think your brain got lost in the ai--rwaves…"

Jocelyn shook her head, but felt the tears in her eyes betray her. As the first drops fell, she began to sob quietly. "I…" she stuttered, unable to look at Tom. "I…I don't know anymore…I just…part of me wants him to just disappear off the face of the earth, and the other part wants to work things out with him…Be friends with him again…" She began to tremble from trying to stop the tears that fell with no regard to her efforts.

"Why should you feel bad? You're the one with nothing on the line…"

Tom hugged her. "Shh…" he said quietly. "Shh…it's okay…"

"Boys, grab your guns, it's all in good fun, we're making 'em run, making 'em run…why should I feel bad? I'm the one with the gun in my hands…in my hands…"

Jocelyn shook her head. "No it isn't…" she sobbed quietly. "I'm sorry," she said, looking up at him. "I shouldn't be telling you all this…" She looked away, pretending to listen to yet another new rock song that was blasting from the scene of the party. It seemed that the rock CD she had placed in the radio earlier had not been changed, and she doubted very much if anyone would change it before she got back to her post.

"No, no, no…" Tom insisted. "That's what I'm here for, remember? What's a human diary worth if you can't talk to him?" Jocelyn laughed as Tom wiped her eyes. "Better?" he asked. Jocelyn nodded. "Good," Tom said, smiling.

Jocelyn looked away, blushing. "God, I'm embarrassed. I'm such wreck."

Tom laughed, then leaned in and whispered in her ear, "I don't mind."

"He's drunk again, it's time to fight, she must have done something wrong tonight…"

Jocelyn giggled, but backed away a bit. Being close to someone was one thing, but being that close to someone with Mike was just plain awkward, even if he wasn't around to actually see it.