chapter 10

Jocelyn watched Mike as he walked away and sat down.

"What makes her so much better than me? What makes her just everything, that I can never be?"

Oh my God…she thought as she realized the song that was playing.

"What makes her your every dream and fantasy…?"

She thought about the look that was on Mike's face as she told him to leave. The expression he gave her nearly broke her heart.

Maybe he really meant it…she thought. Maybe he's still…?

"Because I can't remember when it…was…me…"

No, she told herself. It doesn't matter anyway. He deserves to feel the way I felt for so many years…

But what if he has? asked another voice inside her head. What if he has felt the same way you felt all through high school?

I don't care, she argued. I gave him chances. He never took them. That's his fault, the bastard.

"When it was me…When it was me…When it was…me…"

--

"So," Danny said as he finally took notice of Mike, who was sitting next to him. "What happened?"

"We talked."

"That quickly?"

"Yes."

"What'd you guys say?"

"Pretty much nothing," Mike said. "She didn't wanna talk to me."

"Then keep trying!" Danny said.

"I did!" Mike said exasperatedly. "She kept telling me to fuck off."

"So?"

"So I'm not gonna try again when she obviously doesn't want me around," Mike said angrily, not looking at Danny.

"Come on, Mike," Danny said, putting his hand on Mike's shoulder. "Try one more time."

"You're starting to sound a lot like your cousin," Mike said coldly.

"Yeah, but I don't go around playing matchmaker," Danny pointed out.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," Danny said. "I didn't set myself and Jenna up; that was all Rachel. I didn't continuously try to get you and Jocelyn to admit you guys liked each other all day at Six Flags; Rachel did. Remember? I'm not the one who put together the "perfect" couples, and then have them become the worst breakups in this family's history."

"Heh, yeah…" Mike said nostalgically. "You weren't even at Six Flags that day."

"Yeah," Danny said. "I was busy doing family stuff that day."

"You missed out on an awesome trip," Mike said, smiling at the ground.

"Yeah," Danny said. "So I hear. To hear Rachel put it, it was a pretty magical day for you and Jocelyn."

Mike smirked. "Yeah, close enough."

"Come on," Danny said once more. "Try one more time. It could work."

Mike exhaled, then looked up at the dance floor. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. "Yeah," he said. "I just might do that."

A big grin appeared on Danny's face. "Alright then. Go, Mikey."