chapter 17

"And I would explode just to save your life…Yeah I would explode…."

As a faster rock song came on and began to play, Jocelyn stopped moving and looked down, half expecting Mike to stop as well and walk away.

"Something wrong?" Mike asked.

"No," Jocelyn said. She looked back up at his dark brown eyes. "But…the song's over. The dance you owe me has been repaid."

"I just wanna be where you are tonight, I run in the dark looking for some light, and how will we know if we just don't try? We won't ever know…"

"So?" Mike said, taking her in his arms again. "That doesn't mean I wanna stop dancing with you…unless…you want to?"

"No," she said, fitting herself back into his embrace. "I'm good." She looked over at the other three couples with them on the dance floor. They all seemed to have the same idea, despite the faster tempo. Jocelyn closed her eyes again and smiled as she listened to the song. The sun had begun to set about an hour ago, but it was still quite bright outside, and quite warm. Somewhere in the distance, another group of people had started setting off their fireworks early.

"Let me light up the sky, just for you tonight, let me help you fly, 'cause you won't have time…"

Mike smiled and pulled Jocelyn close to him again, gently resting his chin on the top of her head.

"And it's still so hard to be who you are so you play this part and the show goes on…But you've come this far with a broken heart yeah you've come this far and you're broken…"

Pop! More fireworks went off somewhere at the other end of the park. "Mike?" Jocelyn asked timidly.

Pop! Another round of fireworks. "Yeah?" Mike replied looking down at Jocelyn.

"What does this mean?" she asked, looking into his deep eyes.

"What does what mean?" Mike asked, confused.

"This," Jocelyn said. "This…I don't know what to call it! This…"

"Situation that we're in?" Mike offered helpfully.

"Let me light up the sky, light it up for you…let me tell you why, I would die for you…Let me light up the sky, light it up for you... Let me make this mine, I'll ignite for you, I'll ignite for you…"

Jocelyn looked at him, then nodded slowly. "Yeah…"

"Well," Mike said, beaming. "What about it?"

"What do you mean, "what about it?"" Jocelyn cried.

"Exactly what I asked," Mike said, smirking.

"...Light up the sky...Let me light up the sky..."

"Could you quit being a smartass for just one minute and take things seriously?" Jocelyn asked, irritated.

"See, that's your problem," Mike said. "You take everything seriously. You need to learn to let things happen as they come!"

"And what, end up like you?" Jocelyn sneered.

"Happy and carefree?" Mike asked. "Of course!"

Jocelyn rolled her eyes. Somewhere behind them, the CD played a soft R&B song. Mike wrapped his arms around Jocelyn's waist and pulled her close once more. Jocelyn smiled and leaned her head on his chest.

"Okay, okay, I'll be serious," Mike said dejectedly, like a ten year old who was talked out of watching his favorite rerun of some T.V. show.

"Thank you," Jocelyn said appreciatively.