chapter 11

Mike just stood there, unable to find the words that he wanted to say.

"By my side, you'll never be…By my side…you'll, never, be…'Cause I'm fake at the seams, I'm lost in my dreams, and, and I want you to know, that I, I can't let you go…And you're never coming home again…"

He had given up calling out Jocelyn's name; she didn't turn around anyway.

"And you're never coming home again…"

He just stood there, watching her walk away. His feet felt like they were rooted to the ground, unable to move.

"By my side, you'll never be…By my side…you'll, never, be…"

Unable to follow her.

"Mike?"

"I wanted to tell you I changed, I wanted to tell you that, things would be different this time..."

Mike turned to see Mark approaching him. "What?" he asked, wondering what Mark could possibly want this time. Inform Mike of his latest additions to his list of reasons why he despised him so? Laugh in his face after hearing his and Jocelyn's argument?

"I see you, you see me, differently...I see you, you see me, differently..."

"What happened?" Mark asked, genuinely curious. He looked passed Mike's shoulder to see Jocelyn as she disappeared amongst the trees and park benches.

"Nothing," Mike grunted, turning to where Jocelyn had been moments ago.

"Sure," Mark said. "And I'm Asian like the rest of you. What'd you do to Jos this time?"

"I didn't do anything," Mike said, irritated. God, first Jocelyn, and now Mark! Though he couldn't really say that he was surprised. Mark did love to tell people why he hated them, and when he couldn't find reasons, he was known to make them up.

"Okay, okay!" Mark said, putting up his hands as if to defend himself from Mike's annoyance. "Geez!"

"You tell me that you love me but you never want to see me again… You tell me that you love me but you never want to see me again… You tell me that you love me but you never want to see me again…"

"What do you want?" Mike asked, still not looking at Mark.

"I wanna know what the hell's going on between you and Jos," Mark said.

"Why do you care?" Mike sneered. "Still got a crush on her, have ya?"

"You tell me that you love me but you never want to see me again…"

"No," Mark said smugly. "She's my sister, and I've got the right to know if someone's fucking with her."

"Okay, first of all," Mike said, turning to Mike, "she's not your real sister. And second of all, I'm not fucking with her."

"Really now?" Mark asked. "Prove it."

"What am I supposed to do?" Mike asked as a new song began to play. He looked over to where the radio was. No one was there. Must have been the CD itself then. "Hit rewind and show you the playback?" he asked.

"That could help."

"Fuck off."

"No."

"How do I breathe…How do I breathe…Mmm mmm…Feels so different being here, I'm so used to being next to you, life for me is not the same, there's no one to talk to…"

Mike looked at the ever so short Mark, and rolled his eyes. "What do you want to know?"

"What the hell's going on between you two?" Mark asked. "You guys haven't had a real conversation in three years, and whenever you two get to talking, you guys argue. This time, she walked away from you. What the hell's going on?"