Chapter 3

“Good afternoon sir have you had sight of my mother?” Jason asked. He had to call his stepfather sir because he said ‘it was custom for a young man like me’.

 “Not yet Jason, I assume she has gone to the grocery store to buy some food, anyways I expect you have homework why don’t you make a start?” he replied.

 “Yes sir, right away please shout for me when mother returns.”

 “Alright Jason, off you go then.”

 Jason retired to his room but instead of doing his homework he sat on his bed and reflected on his day so far. All was well apart from when he had come home. He wished he had an after school activity to go to at least spend some time from home. Or to spend time with noon even though he knows that if he gets caught there will be

serious consequences for him in school and outside but suddenly he was feeling rebellious.

-2 hours later-

“Jason, come downstairs your mother has returned.” Jason came downstairs but stopped midway on the stairs to eavesdrop.

 “Where have you been, cilla?”

 “Running away from you, you creep.” Jason could see the rage in sir’s face.

 “Speak ladylike please.”

 “Why should I pretend to be something I’m not?”

 That’s when it came, all the rage and anger had been put to one slap and it had landed on the face of Jason’s mother. Jason gasped and run upstairs while his mother cried out. Jason couldn’t believe what he had just laid his eyes on, his mother getting abused by sir. He wanted to cry but he remembered in school how they had taught him that crying was for girls. He wasn’t a girl so he mustn’t cry.in that case what was he supposed to do after all he was just a child-even though people always say young man-there’s not much a child can do.

 After a good 3 hours in his room, Jason went downstairs to eat. He was extremely hungry even if he didn’t want to admit it.at the dining table it was silent. Jason was usually the one to start a conversation but after what just happened he wasn’t in the mood to talk to sir or his mother.

“Jason, how was school today?” asked his mother.

 “Very well, thank you.”She replied after wiping his mouth.

 “Your stepfather told me that you were asking of me, is everything alright?”

 “Perfectly fine, mother, I just wanted to know of your well-being.”

 “Well I’m fine as you can see.”

 “Good.”

 Any conversation between the families was finished for the day not another word was muttered.

“Noon, is that you dear welcome home.”

 “Hello mother, how was your r day?”

 “It was nothing special dear, just keeping my self-busy, how was school?”

 “It was fine but the best part was when Jason fields talked to me.”

 “Really, well that’s wonderful dear but remember-“

 “No contact with the opposite sexes I know but aren’t you happy for me, mother.”

 She kissed noon on the cheek. “I’m delighted but I want you to remember your lady manners ok and that you shouldn’t have any relationships with men until I allow you to get married, it’s just custom.”

 Noon hugged her mum. “I know mother, I won’t you can 100% trust me.” Her mother laughed.

 “I know darling, I know.” said her mother.

 “So how is Miranda, you didn’t invite her for tea.”

 “Special family dinner, it’s her father’s birthday today she almost forgot.” noon replied.

 “What’s for tea, mother?”

 “Your favourite, chocolate buns and tea but remember to have some salad after all we don’t want to spoil your figure now.”

After tea, noon lay on her bed in her night clothes and dreamed of Jason until she fell asleep.