Part 1

Boston, MA, 1943

"What are you going to do to me?" I whispered, huddled in my cell. My father stood over me, clipboard in hand. He was the scientist now, the torturer, not the father I used to know.

"I found a purpose for you, Ebony. You know as much as I do that you're a pitiful excuse for a daughter. Be grateful." He sneered at me like I was the insane one. And maybe I was, to question the man who had raised me. Hurt me. Beat me No, I wasn't the crazy one.

"I know what you think you did. What did you do? Actually?"

"Oh, I met up with some people in Germany. They're offering a large sum of money for my genius. Also, apparently your genes are ideal for mutation. I can't wait to see what they do to you."

I looked away, trying to process. He continued on. "Everything's all set up. We' re leaving soon."

"And you're just going to pretend that you didn't just break every ethics law in the US? The feds will be after you before you can say 'I did it for science!'"

"Don't worry about it, Ebony. The Germans will keep us safe. All we have to do is cooperate, and no one will be after us ever again."

"Cooperate? With what, specifically?"

"Whatever they need."

I know it's really short, and I'm sorry. The chapters are going to vary quite a bit in length, but I think this is the shortest one, so that's good, right? Just wait, I'll get some action in there. Give it time. 

To Kat,

For dealing with me when I get trapped inside my head.

-Silver.