Part 2

My father grabbed my wrist and yanked, pulling me out of the cell I stayed in. "We're leaving tomorrow, so you need to go gather your belongings from the storage room. I'll be packing my equipment, so don't disturb me until it's time to eat lunch." I nodded and walked out of the basement lab, stalking up the stairs silently and stopping for a moment to admire the view of  Boston, brick buildings rising from the land like stone fingers clawing at the cloudy sky.

My father's mansion (the phrase old money applied perfectly in this situation) sat upon a hillside on the outskirts of the city, so pretty much every window in the house pointed toward the bustling world outside. I had to remind myself, once again, that that wasn't my place. Ever since my father decided the great Dr. Vincent Lahner needed a lab rat more than he needed a daughter, I had stayed in the basement most of the time. He had made it clear that I was never going to go outside. "What is it about outside that fascinates you so, Ebony?" He would question. "You have everything you need here: food, shelter, and the greatest scientific mind on the continent to educate you." Yes, I had those things, but the reason I stayed inside was his cruel ministrations on me, and I knew it.

I turned away from the window and walked up the main staircase, hand trailing up the worn golden balustrade. I took a left at the top and followed the hallway down to a small room containing all of my worldly belongings. All of my father's opulent living was inherited from his father, who died when I was little. He was quite stingy, so I owned the bare necessities, all of which, as I discovered, fit into a single suitcase. I packed slowly, thinking about what my father had said. We were going to Germany? Cooperating with people in Germany? I knew I practically lived under a rock, but I read the papers, and my father would sometimes talk politics with me, so I understood what was going on in the world. The war was tearing the earth apart, and we were going to help the country that started it?

Everything seemed backward, and I didn't know what to about it. I couldn't disobey my father, but I knew what he was doing was wrong. I fastened the buckles on my suitcase, feeling guilty.

I'll try to update regularly, on Mondays and Wednesdays, but no promises. Life happens.

To Kat,

For knowing what to say to make me smile.

-Silver