Part 6

I woke up in my bed. I wonder why someone hasn't come to get me for the procedure yet. As I slowly sit up and shake the residual grogginess from my mind, I feel an odd tingling sensation coming from my fingers. I look down and they're trembling. Before I have time to reflect on this, the iron door swung open and a team of guards piled into my room, surrounding me. Two of them stepped forward and yanked me off of my cot, where I had been laying down. I stepped quickly into the ring of soldiers, keeping a quick pace. I learned from my mistakes, and the pain of two dislocated shoulders wasn't worth giving a fight for. 

For some reason, this all seemed really familiar. I was sent down to the lab. The scientist kept me standing this time (wait, this time? huh?) and proceeded to tell me about my powers. I mentally slammed my head against the wall. They messed with my head. Again. Fuck. "I have given you two powers. You can teleport to anywhere you can see, regardless of distance. Also, you can do something I call dimensional rifting. It means you can create a pocket in space and put objects in it for safekeeping.

You will be sent to a testing room for four hours a day to practice your new skills. This will commence for a week. At the end of the week, you will be sent on your mission. Am I clear, soldier?" I nod. The next day, I'm sent to the room that the scientist told me about. It's a rectangular room, concrete, as much of the compound is. Amateur mistake, letting someone like me into a place like this unguarded. 

I knew what I had done. I still had flashbacks, memories I didn't know were mine until they made their way into my dreams. I saw murders, tortures, kidnappings and public executions. Maybe I didn't start out like this, but now, an assassin was all I was. The walls of the room were made of cinder blocks. Idiots. Did they really think I would keep willingly being their sword in the world? I had been so obedient, so deadly for so long. I punched the wall repeatedly until it cracked and I could wedge my finger in the crevices to grab a stone block and pull it out. It was time to end this.

There was a camera in the room, so I knew I needed to work quickly. They were probably already sending soldiers to stop me. I pulled back my head and slammed it into the brick one, two, three times. I heard a high-pitched ringing in my ears and felt blood trickling out of my temple. The guards stormed into the room, but they were too late. "Get her!" The captain screamed, pointing at me. Two of the guards grabbed me as I lost consciousness.

To Kat,

For nine years of being there for me.

-Silver