Prologue

Game 6 of the Hero Academy Basketball Finals. Shiketsu High leads the series 3-2 over Yuuei High. They have been dominant for all sixteen weeks of the yearly basketball season, having a 23-5 record, the best win-loss record in the history of the Hero Academy Basketball program. On the other hand, this was Yuuei Academy's first ever appearance in the Finals. For the first two years of the program's existence, they were usually one of the worser teams in the league. Now, here they are in the Finals, all thanks to the dynamic trio of Katsuki Bakugou, Izuku Midoriya and Shouto Todoroki. Their teamwork brought Yuuei High a 18-10 win-loss record, as well as their first trip to the finals.

The best team and the second best team in the league were going at it with forty seconds left in the fourth and final quarter. Yuuei was down by eight points, so they had to give it their all in these closing seconds if they wanted to win their first championship. Shiketsu High had won the previous two years and were looking for a three-peat.

The point guard for Yuuei High Izuku Midoriya had possession of the ball. He quickly passed it to the small forward Katsuki Bakugou, who was running towards the basket. Bakugou easily laid the ball into the basket, making it a six point game. Shiketsu's Inasa Yoarashi got a hold of the ball, but found himself grabbed from behind by Mezou Shouji and Tenya Iida, an intentional foul. The foul gave Yoarashi two free throws. He was able to make his first one, but failed to knock the second one down.

Yuuei's ball.

Shouji threw the ball to Shouto Todoroki, who was standing behind the arc, meaning that if he shot from there, it would count as three points. Todoroki put the ball up and hit the shot, getting a three pointer and cutting Shiketsu's lead down to four points with thirty-three seconds remaining.

Shiketsu now had possession of the ball, but Midoriya stole the ball away and put it back up into the basket for two points.

Yuuei down by two.

Yoarashi now had the ball. With thirty seconds remaining in the game, he looked to just dribble the ball out. However, there was a problem. Though there were only thirty seconds left, the shot clock only lasted twenty-four seconds, which means they had to at least attempt a shot before then, or else Yuuei would gain possession with six seconds remaining. That doesn't sound like much time, but for Iida, that's more than enough time for him to drive to their basket and get a shot to tie the game.

Dammit... he thought. What the hell should I do? I have to make this damn shot.

Yoarashi was Shiketsu's best shooter. He could  make any shot if given enough space, but Todoroki was all over him. He absolutely could not let him get any space whatsoever.

You're not going anywhere, Yoarashi. There's no way I'm letting Yuuei down here on our own court.

Yoarashi had his extensive shooting ability, but he was also lethal with his ball handling. He could easily get past any defender, except maybe Bakugou.

"Hey, Icy Hot!" Bakugou yelled as he defended Seiji Shishikura. "Switch! Let me defend Yoarashi!"

"I got this, Bakugou!" Todoroki yelled back. "Stay on your man!"

Todoroki knew that switching defense would be a terrible move in these closing seconds of the fourth quarter. If he had Bakugou leave Shishikura alone to get to Yoarashi, then the ball would probably end up in Shishikura's hands and get a wide open look. If Todoroki left Yoarashi alone, that's an obvious deathwish. He had to defend like his life depended on it.

Yoarashi began to attempt a crossover to get an open look to shoot the ball. He drove left, but Todoroki was there. He drove right and Todoroki followed him. Todoroki's defense was tight, but Yoarashi knew exactly what to do with a hard defender like this. He faked a drive left, causing Todoroki to go left, but Yoarashi quickly went back right.

FUCK!!!

Yoarashi shot the ball from the three point line and of course, it went in.

Shiketsu up by five with eighteen seconds remaining.

Todoroki was frustrated. He may have just caused Yuuei the game and the championship.

"You fucking idiot!" Bakugou yelled.

Iida now had the ball and quickly drove to the basket as he jumped into the air, he passed it to Midoriya and shot the ball from three.

BANG!

Shiketsu's lead cut back down to two with fifteen seconds left.

"Let me shoot the ball next time, Deku!" Bakugou yelled at his teammate.

"At least it went in!" Midoriya responded.

Shiketsu's Nagamasa Mora now had the ball and Bakugou quickly went for the intentional foul. Mora wasn't much of a shooter, so that was a smart foul on Bakugou's part.

Mora ended up missing both of his free throws, like Bakugou expected.

Ten seconds left. Bakugou had the ball. A three wins the series, but he knew he couldn't shoot with confidence under all of this pressure, as surprising as that sounds. As the time ticked away, he faked a shot before passing it to the open man, Todoroki.

Why would you do this to me, Bakugou?!

Todoroki had to make this shot. It was all on him. If he made it, Yuuei would be headed to Shiketsu High for Game 7. If he missed...

If he missed...

If I miss...

Todoroki shot the ball. He was very consistent from three, so he knew that had a very good chance at going in.

The buzzer sounded.

Yuuei was on their feet, but silent.

The ball was in the air.

The players on the court were stationary, knowing that whether the ball went in or not would decide everything.

The ball hit the rim and bounced up. It still had a chance at going in though. It continued to bounce around the rim until it starting rolling around on it, teasing the players and everyone in attendance.

Come on...

The ball fell off of the rim and hit the floor.

Shiketsu began to celebrate as they had just won their third straight championship. The dream season was now complete.

On the other hand, Yuuei was in utter disbelief. Todoroki kicked the basketball in frustration. He really choked.

I really choked. I really fucking choked.

Todoroki looked around at the crowd. All the disappointed faces, who were expecting a win tonight. He shook his head and fell to his knees and began punching the floor.

I failed them...