•Chapter One• Goodbye Yesterday

Silvia

I slammed the lid of the suitcase closed, zipped it up, and then carried it to where the other suitcase waited by the apartment front door. Feeling hungry, I left them there and headed to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich. As I chewed on my sandwich, I checked off things on my mental to-do list. I smiled once I concluded I was finally done and I could relax until it was time for me to head out.

Popping the last bite into my mouth, I turned and made my way into the living room to grab my phone, but stopped short as my eyes landed on the one object in the room that makes my heart constrict with pain and tears form in my eyes. Why did I keep that stupid photo I wondered as I fought back the tears.

Sam and I smiled happily for the camera, looking happy, carefree, and in love with our arms wrapped around each other. I'd thought we loved each other. How wrong was I? It's mind-boggling how one person can have you so fooled that their betrayal comes as a complete shock.

(Flashback)

I'd gotten a much-hoped-for, but unexpected promotion at work, and I wanted to celebrate with Sam. I got off work earlier than expected and stopped at a liquor store to buy a bottle of champagne, before heading to Sam's apartment.

Using the key he gave me a while back, I let myself in taking note of an odd sound in the distance. I removed my shoes and walked on silent feet through the apartment to surprise him. Never did I expect I'd be the one getting a surprise.

Again I could hear odd sounds coming from his room. At first, I thought he was watching tv or listening to his media player. But as I got closer to his room, I got an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach just before I heard a feminine moan. My heart started to pound in my chest and I could feel my body starting to shake in reaction.

Though my mind was telling me Sam was cheating, my heart refused to believe it. But then I heard Sam's voice and my heart splintered in my chest. "You like it, baby?" He asked in a husky voice.

"More... Harder!" A voice I recognized as that of a mutual friend, cried out with wild abandon. Then I heard Sam grunt before the sound of skin slapping against skin reached my ears.

The door was slightly ajar and even as I pushed it open, I hoped I was wrong. But once I saw my boyfriend and Tammy in bed naked doing the nasty, reality struck like a bolt of lightning.

The champagne bottle slipped from my nerveless fingers and shattered on the hardwood floor. Startled by the noise, the pair jumped slightly, then looked in my direction to see me standing there with tear-drenched eyes.

I'm not sure who looked more shocked, me or them. Once Tammy got over the shock, a satisfied smirk touched her lips before she masked it. Sam paled, while his eyes went wide and I could see regret, guilt, and horror on his handsome face.

"Oh my God," Sam groaned. He jumped off Tammy as if he'd been burned. "Silvia I-, " He started to speak but I shook my head, then turned around in one swift motion, ready to escape.

As Sam reached for his pants, I bolted out of his apartment and made it into my car before he exited the building. Tires squealed loudly as I sped away while Sam started running after my car, yelling my name.

(Flashback Ends)

That was a month ago and I've been avoiding them both like the plague. Oh, they both still call, text, and even come to knock on my door, but I've refused all contact. What can they say to make me change my mind?