•Chapter Seven• Falls Of Despair

Silvia

I was playing in the sandbox, pretending my dolls are at the beach on a beautiful, sunny day. My young imagination can actually envision it, the sun shining brightly in the sky while seagull's circle above, filling the air with their cries.

Suddenly, a shadow falls over me, causing me to look up with curiosity. Papa towers over me with that jovial smile of his. "Papa!" I cry just before I launch myself at his legs and wrap my arms around them tightly.

Papa laughs before he bends over and picks me up, holding me high above his head while he looks up at me. "How's my little warrior?" Papa asks as I shriek with glee at being so high off the ground.

He pretends as if he's about to drop me, which creates this funny feeling in my tummy, it's a little scary but fun at the same time. Once more, I shriek in glee as papa catches me before he pulls me close to his chest.

"I want to take you to a special place, " Papa informs me then. "But you must first promise me you will never reveal it's location to anyone unless you are certain they can be trusted," Papa tells me, his face very serious.

I place my tiny hands on either side of his face while looking into his grey eyes. "I promise papa!" I reply with a grin.

Papa shakes his head, his brows knitting as he gives me a stern look. "This is a very serious matter little one, you must keep the location a secret. Agreed?"

Knitting my brows in a similar way as his, I nod. "Yes papa, it will be our secret and our secret only!" I say in a serious voice as I try my best to imitate his serious tone.

Papa smiles then and nods in return, apparently satisfied with my reply. With me still held securely in one arm, he turns and begins walking away from the house with long, quick strides.

I'm not sure how long he carried me through the woods, it seemed like hours to my young mind. My eyes darted around us, landing on a tree that strangely resembeled an old woman and I pointed it out to papa, who smiled but continued walking onward.

Finally, papa came to a stop and I wondered if we had finally arrived at the special place. I turned to look ahead of us to see what looked like a wall of rock and I turned my eyes to papa's face inquisitively. Papa winked at me before he held out his hand to touch the rock wall.

My eyes grew wide as the wall rippled as if it were water, and then disappeared to reveal more woods beyond it. My head swung in papa's direction again to see a twinkle in his eyes, my eyes big as saucers.

"This is our secret, remember?" Papa said and I nodded as he resumed walking. I turned my head to look over his shoulder in time to see as the stone wall reappeared behind us.

"This place is magical, " Papa explained. "It will only open for the Alpha of our pack." He turned his head to look at me, his face was serious again.

"It will also open for you since you are the only one who can wield the bow," Papa stated before turning his face forward once more, his steps never faltering.

The sound of rushing water filled my ears, growing louder as we continued moving through these woods. Small animals darted in front of us but papa ignored them.

A few moments later we broke through the trees and a gasp of wonder escaped from my lips at the sight before us. A beautiful waterfall spilled into a large stream at its base.

There were stairs on either side of the waterfall carved out of the stone that led up to the top of the waterfall. "This place is called, the falls of despair, " Papa stated.

"Despair?" I asked, tilting my head to one side. The word was unfamiliar to me.

"That was the name given after a tragedy occurred in this place. But that is a story for another ti-"