Chapter 13 - No sign of Billy

Kat threw on a pair of red stirrup pants and white blouse with red sleeves and a red pocket. She slipped on a few red and white bracelets to match, with a quick tease of her hair, she was ready for work.

Kat and Scott hopped into Miles' car, that was parked out front.

"Did Billy call today?" She questioned Scott and Miles as Miles drove her to the market.

They gave a collective no and continued their conversation about what they were going to do later. Her heart dropped. A full day without a call from him wasn't normal. She stared out the window watching the passing vehicles. This wasn't a good sign.

Kat stood in the busy corridor at school, where she had been meeting Billy in the morning. She waved to a few friends as they passed by. She peeked both ways up and down the hall. There was no sign of Billy.

She looked down at the white Swatch watch on her wrist checking the time. The bell was about to ring. Kat's heart was dropping, knowing this was an even worse sign. Where was he? He couldn't even break up with her properly?

The warning bell echoed through the halls and students began to scatter, diving into classrooms. Kat pulled her bookbag up snuggly on her shoulder and walked through the hall to her homeroom. She was embarrassed standing waiting for someone who was probably purposefully avoiding her. How humiliating. It felt like everyone knew but her.

After lunch Kat slid into her seat in Math class. She glanced a few rows across the room to Jim. He quickly turned his gaze away. Her stomach turned, this was an obvious sign that Billy was going to dump her. His friends were already ignoring her.

The bell rang. Kat slowly pulled her purse strap off the back of her chair and scooped up her books as she slid out of her chair. She was just about to make her way to Jim, when she noticed him stepping out of the room into the hall. She made her way to her locker. Dee caught up to her in the hall. Dee gasped as she saw the miserable expression on Kat's face.

"Hey girl, what's up?" Dee asked. It took Dee a moment then it hit her. She threw her hand over her mouth and gasped seeing the tears welled up in Kat's eyes. "Oh my god, what's wrong?"

"I...I think Billy is going to break up with me." She stuttered as she held back her tears. Dee wrapped her arms around Kat in a hug and stepped back to listen.

"Why do you think that? Did something happen?" Dee questioned.

"He's been avoiding me all day." Kat explained. "Even his friends won't look at me." Dee would understand. Her best friend would absolutely make me feel better.

"When was the last time you talked to him?"

"Saturday night. We went to Kevin's party. I think Billy was really nervous around the guys."

"Wow. I can't believe you took Billy McCray, super prep, to a party in the projects." Dee said with wide eyes.

"I know. What was I thinking." Kat whimpered.

"Oh Kat, I'm so sorry." Dee wrapped her arms around Kat giving her a big hug.

Dee gave Kat a long face and threw an arm around Kat's shoulder. They walked the hall together.

"I wish he would just talk to me. Get to find out what the he is thinking." Kat explained.

"What a jerk! I'll get Chris to beat him up for you. He would love to do that." They chuckled together. Dee could always lift her smile. Kat wiped away a few tears that escaped her eyes.

"That's probably half the reason he's gone. Every boy here is going to be afraid to date me. Between my brothers, Chris, Mark and god knows who else, I'll never have a boyfriend. I may as well have 'Do Not Touch' tattooed on my forehead." Kat cradled her books and dropped against the lockers.