In Loving Memory

* DISCLAIMER: Contains explicit language, violent references, sexual content.

"Ruby? I'm so sorry. I swear. Things are going to change. I've been fucking selfish for long enough and haven't even bothered to see how you're doing through all of this. Please talk to me. I promise that won't happen again,"

I've been banging on her bedroom door for the better part of 10 minutes now. Pantera blared through her stereo, flooding throughout the house and I was glad that we're absent of neighbors.

I finally gave up after a few more minutes and went to lay down, not bothering to change my clothes or take my shoes off. My sleep was void of all dreams for the first time in years and for that, I was actually thankful.

- - -

Five Days Later

I can't get it out of my mind about who those men were, and whose grave I had fallen asleep in front of. They were definitely the same guys that I'd seen previously, but that still didn't answer who are they?

I haven't been back to the cemetery since that night. It honestly scared the shit out of me. Ruby and I worked things out and I promised her that I would be a better friend.

All she's done is try to help me but I've been so caught up in my own problems to see how hard this has been for her, too. I promised I would only go visit John twice a week, and I wouldn't stay more than a couple of hours.

I decided to wait until sunset to ride out tonight. I want to know who those mysterious men are and why I ended up where I did that last night I was there.

"Want to grab some dinner, Rubes? My treat," I offered her as we laid on the couches in the living room watching Scream.

"You? Asking for food? Fuck yeah, I'm down!" She smiled and jumped up with lightning speed, running to her room to get dressed. I decided to just stay in what I already have on and just brush my hair.

We decided on Chinese takeout and went to pick it up together.

"I'm gonna try to figure out what went down the other night, but I promise I won't be out long. And this is my first time visiting this week," I mentioned to Ruby through a mouth full of rice.

"It's all good Ash. I'm sorry I was such a bitch. I had just been so scared for a couple of hours but I know you don't answer your phone when you're upset so I figured you didn't want to talk. I'm just glad you're okay, you asshole." She laughed to let me know she was being sincere and we finished the rest of our meals in silence.

I threw the boxes away and grabbed my old Element hoodie from the mudroom. "I'll be back by midnight at the latest!"

I let Ruby know and grabbed my keys and phone, before closing the door behind me.

As I got to the cemetery, I noticed no one else appeared to be there. 'Cool. That gives me time to figure out whose space I invaded that night,' I thought to myself as I got out of the car.

Of course, I walked over to John's marker first and said hello. Then slowly, I made my way over the next few plots. I felt nervous and a little scared. What if I knew the person? Or maybe it was just some stranger and my unconscious mind knew I had seen other people here.

I noticed a lot of objects around the marker as I got closer and I felt my muscles tighten. Really popular guy, it seemed.

As I stood in front of it and crouched down, reading the name I gasped.